How often do you need to change the Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Firebird2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you need to change the Brake Rotors

Hi guys.

Can anyone tell me at what mileage the front brake rotors need to be changed. On my Lexus RX330 it had to be done every 30000Kms (20000 miles) and boy was it expensive.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Mine had a very small lip at around 40k when my pad warning light went off - I forget what the spec is on the thickness but that is what you need to go by. I was within spec -- but most likely they would have been thin if I went another 40k. My experience is that the dealers always replace the rotors.

I could have easily gone till 45k on the pads as the sensors go off way too early IMO. I opted to replace the rotors thinking that by doing so I would get another trouble free 40-45k out of them. If the car is still around when it needs to be done again I may just put pads on it next time.

Some cars just eat rotors -- a lot of factors at work. Funny, we have two Lexus vehicles and our 05 needed pads all around at about 35k -- the rotors were fine. I looked at them last week as that car has over 70k on it now and the rotors are still full with absolutely no lip - So I was going to just replace all the pads again - Toyota must supply soft pads for some models.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

My rotors are pretty worn at 45000 miles. I just paid $420 for crossdrilled zimmerman rotors. $352 for pads, hardware and sensors from Sunset Porsche.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

Originally Posted by Firebird2

Can anyone tell me at what mileage the front brake rotors need to be changed.

Cheers
There is no distance or time specific schedule for this because it depends not on how far or long the car has gone, but how much the brakes have been used. Much like for a manual clutch. Driving economically might save you not only fuel, but these components as well.

A long distance commuter car might drive very far on a set of brake pads while a sporty driver with regular use of the brakes might need new pads very often.

Porsche have a wear limit of 1mm per side of the rotor. Typically the rotors need replacement every other time the pads are changed, but this too is subject to many factors and need to be measured to be determined correctly.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 884 Posts

It depends on how you drive. I agree with yeldogt - you need to check the thickness and make sure they are within spec. I didn't replace the rotors on my first brake job around 40,000 miles. I expect my pad sensor warning to be coming any day now, and I'll replace the rotors this time.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine at just over 50K miles when the front pad wear sensor warning light came on. The rotors could have gone longer, but would have needed replacement before the front pads wore out again so I did them all at the same time.

I changed rear rotors and pads at a little over 71K miles. Pad wear sensors hadn't gone off yet, and I probably could have gone a few more thousand before they did.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at 50K on original pads and rotors. No warning light yet (knock on wood). Being my own professional mechanic, I'll be replacing both rotors and pads when the time comes myself. I'll be replacing the rotors due to a very mild pulsation under heavy breaking and the rear rotors have a considerable lip.

What is the estimated cost of parts alone? (pads, hardware, and rotors) - front and rear for an 07 CTT?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Firebird2
Track Day

Cool, thanks guys, 40-50K Miles, is 75-80K kms, happy with that. I looked on www.dba.com.au site and they also make rotors for the Cayenne. I currently have the Cross Drilled and Slotted ones on my Navara and they have done 40K Kms, I changed the pads the other day and the rotors had hardly worn at all.

Cheers
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In general, pads should last 2 pad cycles on these cars depending on how you drive. Normal commute stuff should be fine, lots of high speed braking will change it dramatically.

Never pay for them to be done its such an easy job
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Not that it is the same car, but on my V6 Touareg, I replaced the fronts at around 45k and the rears lasted me until 76k.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

On my '05 Cayenne S had them replaced at 30k - new material with the latter models, my '10 TDI with 28k are looking great!

Those few track sessions at Barbers I'm sure had a little something to do with pads on the Cayenne not lasting too long but I just couldn't resist passing some of the "newer" drivers with their 911's & Boxsters on the track with my big beast when she was new....
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

On my CS (06 Tit Ed), I did the (first change) front (pads and rotors) at 50k miles, and just did the rear at 62k miles.
It seems that the spec is to not loosing more 2 mm of rotors over the original size, and I should say that it is not easy to measure accurately, as the caliper head would not feet in, due the the metal protection in the inside. In my case, the rear that are originaly 28mm thick, after 62k miles on the rear were 26.4mm, ..or still "good", but for how long ?
I had to file the two lips (rotors dead for sure) to measure the exact thickness with my caliper, (the lips were touching the measurement surfaces).

In conclusion: Incredible good brakes (I tow sometime 6'000 pounds !) and very durable.
(In my side, I think I will continue to change both pad and rotors, imo, a good bet on safety !)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
In general, rotors should last 2 pad cycles on these cars depending on how you drive. Normal commute stuff should be fine, lots of high speed braking will change it dramatically.

Never pay for them to be done its such an easy job
Corrected it for you.

I have 56K on the original rear pads and rotors. The front pads and rotors were replaced prior to my purchasing it (CPO & 32k mi.). Most likely when the rears need to be done I will replace both front and rear with the vented rotors, no idea what pads yet.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Is there a reason to go with slotted and drilled vs. standard rotors and can I just do the front slotted/drilled and not the back?
Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
Is there a reason to go with slotted and drilled vs. standard rotors and can I just do the front slotted/drilled and not the back?
Thanks
I suspect other than a little extra cooling for the rotors the drilled aren't really necessary unless you're tracking (or heavy towing) with your Pepper. For most of us I think it would be mainly for looks. Slotted rotors are supposedly good for scraping the brake dust off the pads. I am NOT a brake expert though!

To that end, having a slotted/drilled rotor on the front and plain solid on the rear would look odd.

Edit: Stand corrected, looks like Havannah is a interior color.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-01-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: How often do you need to change the Brake Rotors