Sponsored by:

Technical questions: S vs Turbo models

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 AM
xxrillixx
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical questions: S vs Turbo models

Im having a difficult time finding the information I need to make a purchase decision. If anyone knows the answer, or can atleast point me in the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated. It just seems like not many people modify these cars.

My intention is to get a Cayenne that I can modify. Need to figure out if im better off getting the S and doing a custom turbo, or just go for the turbo / turbo s model. Looking for pretty mild build, but around 700 whp. Unfortunately as much as my parents have told me to, "leave the car alone" I cant. I currently own a turbo camaro (600hp/700trq), supercharged Trans Am (10sec car), and a CTS-V - which i have dreaded modifying due to the amazingly weak rearends, for which the only cure is about $10k... but thats another story.

What are the differences between the S, Turbo and Turbo S motors (IE heads, forged internals, anything)?

Assuming they are different, how much boost (and horsepower) can the S, Turbo, and Turbo S models handle safely stock?

Hopefully that'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Mack
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM
mmmbeer
Racer

The Cayenne V8 engine and V8 Turbo engine are very similar and share the same design and most parts. But there are some differences to the engine itself in addition to the obvious turbos, intercoolers, plumbing and engine management.

What I have found of different parts on the engines using Porsche PET (This is for the MY 2003-2006):

-94810101704 "Spray Nozzle" on Turbo engine vs "stopper" on the V8, i assume these are the oil squirters in the crankcase?

-Main pulley for the drivebelt.

-Pistons and rings.

-Cylinder heads and some assembly parts.

-Camshafts, both intake and exhaust.

-Fuel injectors.

-Some misc. parts like vent lines, cooling tubes etc...

Edit:
And most important of all; The cover on top of the engine reading; TURBO

The Turbo S have the same engine parts as the regular Turbo, but it have the larger intercoolers with plumbing and different engine management software with higher boost pressure.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I think we are at the tipping point where you will start to see many more modders. Older Cayennes are now cheap enough that it is attracting more enthusiasts that are willing to mod them.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mack you're a modder or, as put in my time, a "hot rodder". Period. It's in your blood. Your opening sentence said it all. Not that's there's anything wrong with it as many people such as yourself can't leave stock alone.

Having said this, European cars are not like American cars. The production numbers are much more reduced with Porsches and the high cost of replacement parts reflect this low output number. Yes the 1st generation Cayennes are relatively lower priced and easy to purchase however, if modded to a high level in the same respect as your previous rides, there's really no margin for error; so prepare yourself to pay the high price to do so.

Perhaps you'd be better off purchasing a Yukon or Escalade and trying out your 700+ HP mods on an American engine block? Should something go wrong, finding one in a salvage yard at a reasonable price would be very likely.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

Plenty of people heavily modifying European cars to huge numbers with great luck. Had a 500hp/600tq audi myself.

Even suggesting you go buy an american car instead suggests that you are missing the point.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wonder how the drivetrain and cardan shaft will enjoy 700whp?

Lipstick on a P!g
Old 01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Plenty of people heavily modifying European cars to huge numbers with great luck. Had a 500hp/600tq audi myself.

Even suggesting you go buy an american car instead suggests that you are missing the point.
Cole, the point was not missed. If you go back and read the OP's post, you'll see what background in automobiles he's coming from.

From reading your own posts, it's clear to all of us that you've been modding European cars for a long time now and you seem to be (or rather display to us all that you are) pleased with your results. I'm not passing judgement on you neither.

Without knowing the OP's budget but 'listening' to him post about how his parents advise him against modding, I'm just letting a 'newbie' know that this can become much more expensive with a Porsche in place of any given mass-produced American vehicle. Whether you agree with it or not, you cannot deny this fact.

BTW, just how reliable was your 500HP audi?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Cole
Drifting

Im sure that answer is fairly easy to find out since there are 700+hp Cayennes out there alreadyadn several manufacturers making kits.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andy E.
, I'm just letting a 'newbie' know that this can become much more expensive with a Porsche in place of any given mass-produced American vehicle. Whether you agree with it or not, you cannot deny this fact.

BTW, just how reliable was your 500HP audi?
This is a fair statement for sure.

FWIW, I put 168,000 miles on the Audi before selling it in perfect working order. With any car there were kinks along the way, but never replaced a motor, trans etc. Mostly seal and sensor issues.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 PM
mmmbeer
Racer

I believe this was suposed to be a technical thread.

I posted some info on which engine-parts are different on the S and Turbo. Does anyone know how these parts are different, besides the different part number?

Also, I did a search and found that the turbochargers are rumored to be either KKK or Japanese IHI made. Could someone clarify about this?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by mmmbeer
I believe this was suposed to be a technical thread.

I posted some info on which engine-parts are different on the S and Turbo. Does anyone know how these parts are different, besides the different part number?

Also, I did a search and found that the turbochargers are rumored to be either KKK or Japanese IHI made. Could someone clarify about this?
Which is what I would love to see in this forum instead of jet telling people to build something else.

I have not yet been able to confirm what turbos are actually in the CTT. There was a thread on 6speed that had a link to what one guy thought was in them and upgrade options.

Anyone know if the Turbo uses things like sodium filled valves? O the 951 the head specs are all the same as the 944 but the valves are sodium filled and ceramic lined ports. Wonder if the turbo cayenne has any of those types of differences?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 AM
xxrillixx
4th Gear

And i forgot to mention it before, its for the 2005/2006 models.

thanks for the info mmmbeer! Still pretty vague, but thats about what i figured as far as the differences.
Camshaft - no biggy, pulleys - no biggy, injectors - of course, heads pistons and rings - this is where it could get pretty pricey, same crankshafts? Sounds like the Turbo is the way to go over the Turbo S, if the internals are the same... going to want a bigger intake anyway. Assuming the Turbo motor can handle enough boost. If not, the V6 or S to do a motor swap.

Ive heard of several cayennes in the 700hp range, but cant seem to find any info on them. Thats why i was looking for some technical info.

ltc, arent there already cayennes out there achieving this? Plus, there are EXTREME ways to change boost patterns with a good boost controller. Applying boost once the car is moving greatly reduces the amount of torque on the drivetrain. What can the drivetrain handle?

Andy E. Thank you for the consideration, but ive already looked at that. Yes, i could do a Trailblazer SS... LS motor and a turbo and be done very easily. But thats not really the point. I dont really care for the look of the TBSS, and if I can get a cayenne for close to the same price... why not? Would I put a LS motor in a cayenne... in a hearbeat if the cayennes need THAT much modification to get to my goal. But Id rather keep it the way it is if possible. Im hoping people are hitting 600-700hp SAFELY on the stock motors. I have yet to see one of these cars being sold with a bad motor, so to me that means they are stout... or no one pushes them.

Can the stock V8's can handle any boost?

How hard is it to mod a Turbo model to get close to 600-700hp?

Anyone have links? For GM its lingenfelter, hennessey or several others, who does porsche use to do their mods? Maybe they will have the basics of what goes into their kits, and the HP gains they recieve.

Thanks,
Mack

Last edited by xxrillixx; 01-10-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

I think getting 700hp out of a CTT is not really that difficult. You can actually get pretty close to that with off the shelf, readily available bolt on gear and eprom flash. Even just look into fabspeed's program...they claim 703hp with chip, exhaust and intake. The internals are most likely more than able to handle that power but to squeeze more than that is going to cost major bucks and if you have a problem it's going to be painful. My buddy's 04 CS's motor blew recently...catastophic. Luckily still under extended warranty but $27K later!! Porsche motors are not cheap and if you look into any internal parts they are ridiculous. I think if you go for crazy power you'll have to do internal mods but if you are looking for 700-800hp you'll be alright. Go the TT route though. Trying to get that power out of a normally aspirated CS will cost too much. Big turbo may bring huge power but it may not be as useable as the TT and driveability could suffer.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

was looking for the ebay 9ff cayenne turbo-s that claims 700hp.. priced at around $60k-$70k (i think).. it's not there anymore.. maybe you can check what's the specs on that car (google 9ff).
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 AM
xxrillixx
4th Gear

Like everything else I find for cayennes that are supposedly 700hp+...

9ff Cayenne
"Exactly what's been done to generate 725hp is unknown at this stage, unless you're fluent in German, but the fact that this is likely the fastest Cayenne in the world translates well in anyone's language." says, http://www.themotorreport.com.au/160...ne-vantage-gtr

and http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/31/9...e-vantage-gtr/

Could they be any more vague??? Doesnt even specify if the motor has to be modified.

Quick Reply: Technical questions: S vs Turbo models