Sponsored by:

Rear doors frozen shut

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
dbm911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear doors frozen shut

Ok, I searched before posting this one and didn't see anything related so here goes!

Has anyone ever had any issues with their doors freezing shut when its been cold and rainy and the temps dip below freezing? My back doors on two occasions this winter have done this. I've had to crawl in through the back and push (carefully) to unstick them.

I'm wondering if there is any type of treatment for the door rubber or door itself that will prevent this from happening? Maybe I need to move further south for the winter!

Thanks-

Dave
'05 Cayenne
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had that happen a few times...does seem that the rear doors are more prone to freezing shut. Besides moving the vehicle indoors to thaw out, I think the gentle pull or push like you said is the only real solution.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes. Run a very thin film of silicone grease or petroleum jelly on the rubber gasket mating with the door.

Silicone grease is odorless and colorless and is used to lubricate sunroof mechanisms in many vehicles.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
dbm911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Yes. Run a very thin film of silicone grease or petroleum jelly on the rubber gasket mating with the door.

Silicone grease is odorless and colorless and is used to lubricate sunroof mechanisms in many vehicles.

Ahh good thinking. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Recently wash your rig? I've had the problem of the windows freezing shut after having run through a touchless wash.

Any suggestions on to prevent windows from freezing other than getting the cab up to temp?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.

Good tip Andy
Old 01-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Recently wash your rig? I've had the problem of the windows freezing shut after having run through a touchless wash.

Any suggestions on to prevent windows from freezing other than getting the cab up to temp?
On my previous ride I had this problem and again, I used silicone but from a spray can. Use the small tube that comes with it, attach it to the nozzle and spray the inside of the felt weatherstripping that comes into contact with the glass edge.

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Good tip Andy
I remember reading somewhere in an old owner's manual that Glycerine can also be used to coat weatherstripping to prolong life of the rubber as well as prevent freezing. Nowadays, aside from cough syrup, purchasing pure Glycerine may in fact invite Homeland Security to come knocking on your doorstep.

Quick Reply: Rear doors frozen shut