Sponsored by:

"Check corner lights"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
mxquattro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Check corner lights"

My 06 CS gets this message once in a while when I start it up, then goes away. I did notice that neither corner light works anymore. I cant imagine both bulbs went away and all fuses 'appear' to be OK. Anyone seen this before?
Bob
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

This is a common problem. The headlights suffer from connection problems - It can effect any of the lights in the headlight cluster - or the whole thing.

The headlight assembly locks into the car and the electrical connection is made at the same time -- everything needs to be aligned and tight. The bracket that holds the harness and connector can loosen over time so that when the headlight is inserted it still is not properly connected.

I had a lot of problems with my cornering lights -- the headlights were in and out so many times that the headlight assemblies no longer locked in correctly. Porsche ended up replacing everything on both sides and I have never had any more problems.

If you have never had any problems with the lights flickering or any intermittent warning lights I would remove one of the headlight assemblies and check the bulb without doing anything else. I was told that the bulbs for the cornering lights fail all the time (Two different dealers said the same thing). You may just have both bulbs burned out.

Just make sure the headlight is fully inserted when you reinstall it -- Good Luck
Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience has been they typically go out around the same time (L & R) - in my case about a month apart. Also, if one bulb is burnt out, the other one will not go on either. Best to check bulb and if burnt out replace both at same time. The H3 bulb is available anywhere and very cheap.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

It could be the bulbs, but I agree with yeldogt. It is more likely the bracket/carriage that holds the headlight assembly being loose. You can tighten it yourself - there are 10mm bolts that hold it in place, or you can have your dealer do it and apply LocTite to the bots to keep it in place once it's properly tightened. I had my dealer take care of it when I had this problem. There is a TSB related to this issue that your dealer can reference. Once that was done, I never had another problem.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If one of the corner bulbs goes out, the other one doesn't work either (even if the bulb is good.)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Both bulbs work on the same fuse, so when one goes out the other does too.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

A very timely thread...mine just exhibited this symptom as well. I've got H3 bulbs on my shelf, so I'll check that first, but thanks or the heads on on the assembly itself coming loose. I'll be certain to tighten everything up when replacing the headlight enclosure.

- Darryl
Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, my '05 just gave me this message too. Thanks for the H3 info, I'll have at it tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
mxquattro
Instructor

Thanks Guys, Ill take it apart this weekend and see what I find. Hopefully its something easy like that.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
dbm911
Track Day

I need to replace my left cornering light, is it a standard H3 55watt bulb?

Dave
Old 02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Yup, off the shelf at auto-zone. $6.99 and about 3 minutes to replace.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:16 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

PS, if you can replace in pairs. I only did one on mine and the color temperature is slightly different, and it drives me crazy.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
dbm911
Track Day

mxquattro thanks for the info! Went to auto-zone, bought two bulbs, replaced both, 20 minutes total. It would have been even easier if my fingers were just about 1/4" longer, but needle nose pliers saved my day!

Next up is replacing the gaskets around the headlight assemblies...didn't realize they were in such poor condition.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
mellowyellow-atlanta
Advanced

Originally Posted by dbm911
mxquattro thanks for the info! Went to auto-zone, bought two bulbs, replaced both, 20 minutes total. It would have been even easier if my fingers were just about 1/4" longer, but needle nose pliers saved my day!

Next up is replacing the gaskets around the headlight assemblies...didn't realize they were in such poor condition.
Just happened on our 06CS this week too. One went out, but wifey says the other side is still on, which contradicts what was said in this thread.

Anyhow, I am heading to the parts store this weekend and picking up a pair of H3 bulbs. I will also check the assembly tightness. So many little quirks...
Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mellowyellow-atlanta
Just happened on our 06CS this week too. One went out, but wifey says the other side is still on, which contradicts what was said in this thread.

Anyhow, I am heading to the parts store this weekend and picking up a pair of H3 bulbs. I will also check the assembly tightness. So many little quirks...
Sure you don't have the little "marker" light out? The cornering lamps only come on when you turn the wheel and 100% for sure the other one won't work when one is burnt out.

The side marker light is a little 5w5 bulb.

Quick Reply: "Check corner lights"