Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne S Hybrid - let the adventure begin

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaine S
I was thinking about what I initially said about describing the pros and the cons of the Hybrid, and yes, most of my experience has been very positive. But not wanting to be a Hybrid Pollyanna, I thought I'd share my experience with "e Power". Basically, I still don't know why Porsche has that setting. Is it to sneak up your driveway so the dog doesn't know your home and insist on a walk? e Power prioritizes use of the electric system and in doing so emphasizes how small the capacity of the battery is with respect to the size of the car. With a light touch on the throttle at low speeds, e Power will allow you to drive mainly using the electric motor. Encounter a hill or a situation where you need to catch up with traffic and you will likely still transition over to the V6. Even so, using e Power it still rapidly drains the battery over a fairly short period. I really don't understand why it is there. In the owners manual it even states that the best gas mileage is obtained with e Power "off" and it isn't really helping with performance. Does anybody else have any ideas? Basically, the hybrid system seems to be there for performance, increased fuel economy, and lower CO2 production, but it can't drive the car around town by its own.
My wife has a Highlander Hybrid (until her new Audi A3 TDI shows up) and it has an "e-power" mode as well. The only time I've found it useful is in a parking garage or similar situation where you're waiting behind other cars, are travelling a short distance, and yet don't want the start/stop function of the gas engine to be constantly cycling. Otherwise, as you describe, it's of limited use.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:25 AM
PETER838
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry in China at the moment, the car has 6000km on it now....the hybrid system problems started at about 2500km

Porsche have accepted the rejection of the car but are refusing to replace. I contacted the Porsche GB Managing Director...Porsche are completely wiping their hands of the problem and leaving it to the Porsche Dealer. I've issued proceedings against the Pendragon Group (Porsche Dealer) in the
UK.

Porsche service has been abysmal....I've had 2 997's from the dealer in the past too. So much for the premium brand service
Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow Peter - that stinks. Here in the Colonies we have what are called "Lemon Laws" for cars that have abnormal or excessive service needs that substantially impair your ability to use your car within the first year.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PETER838
Sorry in China at the moment, the car has 6000km on it now....the hybrid system problems started at about 2500km

Porsche have accepted the rejection of the car but are refusing to replace. I contacted the Porsche GB Managing Director...Porsche are completely wiping their hands of the problem and leaving it to the Porsche Dealer. I've issued proceedings against the Pendragon Group (Porsche Dealer) in the
UK.

Porsche service has been abysmal....I've had 2 997's from the dealer in the past too. So much for the premium brand service
Sorry I was flip with the "humor" about right hand drive earlier. Sounds like you're having real difficulties. What does it mean that Porsche has "accepted the rejection" of the car? How can they wipe their hands of responsibility for a vehicle still under warranty? Maybe consumer protection laws are different in the UK.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:53 AM
PETER838
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer is saying....

The list price of the Cayenne with spec was £72k

Porsche GB have put a price increase through Jan 2011 and UK Tax (VAT) has increased.....Therefore the dealer and Porsche GB accept that the car is a problem and faulty but they are not willing to replace it.

The Porsche dealer has 'offered' to refund £64,000?????!!! yet it will cost me £72,000+ new tax rate and increase to replace the Hybrid!!!!

The Porsche dealer said 'because they wrote my partexchange 997 C4 down in their books at £64,000 (they sold it for 70k) they are only prepared to refund this value for the Cayenne Hybrid'.......If I want another hybrid cayenne ' exactly the same' I must now pay the difference between £64k and £72k which at retail value with the increase is more like £75k to replace. place a £3000 deposit and get on the waiting list

Porsche are trying to profit out of the rejection of the car!!!!

PORSCHE GB RESPONSE

'Owing to the nature of mechanical components, it is not possible to eliminate the possibility of spontaneous component failure.'

They then followed on by saying place a deposit for £3000 and order a new car!!!

Summary Porsche want me to pay £10,000+ to replace the Hybrid that they can't fix.

They make profit from the replacement, plus they make profit from the last deal and the part-exchange. I emailed to the Porsche GB MD Mr Andy Goss and pointed out that this is not the customer service that you'd expect from a 'prestigious brand'....no response!!!

Sorry to go on
Old 01-16-2011, 03:52 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. that is wrong on so many levels.

hopefully now that VW is taking over we'll see more customer service from the corporate level instead of this ridiculous arrogance. one of my friends just had his Audi Q5 bought back; his experience with VW corporate was very smooth and pleasant.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove down to NYC over the weekend and really enjoyed the drive. In city traffic the hybrid system used the electric power a lot more, as would be expected. I can't tell you how nice it is in the middle of Manhattan traffic, you just quitely glide along. On the way down there is a great stretch of road along 15 (Merrit Parkway, Hutchinson River Parkway) which is a winding scenic stretch of divided two lane parkway. In sport mode the car really does a great job with the gear changes and everybody knows how well it handles. By far the best car I've owned to drive on the parkway and in the city.

There was some traffic on the way down so I was taking it easy and managed the following mileage.

In the city however it dropped to around 16-20 with all of the stop and go. Also, if I average 65+ mph I can't get these figures, it is closer to 23 mpg.

Still, really not bad.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid - let the adventure begin