Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ever think we will see this day?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do you ever think we will see this day?

Rome made alot of comments about the first group of cayennes becoming "classics" and being fearful of letting his Beta go.

Now it takes 15-20 years for hindsight to really evolve into if this is true or not but I would like to pose a question.

Any chance you see people striping down and chopping up these like landcruisers, broncos, scouts, G wagens, etc???

I added some pics for ideas and I know some of these are offroad specific models but whats to say it wouldnt be a great donor car to morph in the future?
Attached Images      
Old 12-20-2010, 02:14 PM
King Luis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know about a classic unless they come out with a transsyberia version or a rare model. then it'll become a rare and favourable truck to pick up.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In my opinion, I don't see this happening to the Pepper. It's too much of a complicated vehicle (electrically) and does not take well to extreme modifications as in the case with the other earlier examples of off-road trucks pictured above.

If anything, it may actually be a good thing with regards to keeping the resale value higher.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well in the bronco/scout examples, most of them are not 'classic' untampered with vehicles.....

most have been stripped, lifted, and have nothing but a cratev8 or rebuilt v8 thrown in for cruising fields or lazy Sundays/tailgating.

So in that regard.......could you see someone striping them down as a donor for a small block v8, chop top/gator back, and some cheap suspension w mud tires...

I mean you could probably split the back tailgate and window so it drops down the opposite way of the window with some manual hinges on there and catches to hold it at a certain distance......or just shave off the the top for a roll cage and bikini style top.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classic yes but probably not a collector car. Every car is going to become a classic but in terms of retaining value and going up in price nothing will touch the Defender 90/110's. The Bronco's from the 60's are getting up there but they have to be in semi original shape to see any value, not in rock crawler mode.

I agree with the above comments, too much electronics and complexity always seem to devalue these cars, seems limited edition with very little to no options always rack in the big bucks for example, 89 Speedster, RS America, C2 CUP and so on.
Looking at a Defender 90/110 they are limited,very simple and do their purpose well with a mech taging along to fix it up the trails. I can't stand the interiors, and they look thrown together but still bring in $30k to $50k all day even with 100k on the clock.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:48 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Rome made alot of comments about the first group of cayennes becoming "classics" and being fearful of letting his Beta go.

Now it takes 15-20 years for hindsight to really evolve into if this is true or not but I would like to pose a question.

Any chance you see people striping down and chopping up these like landcruisers, broncos, scouts, G wagens, etc???

I added some pics for ideas and I know some of these are offroad specific models but whats to say it wouldnt be a great donor car to morph in the future?
Nope
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Just for the record, my comments about it becoming a classic were tongue in cheek.

I do think that years down the road the Cayennes may have a following like the old 928's do today... but nothing more than that.

It's interesting that I have never seen a single Cayenne at all the Porsche lawn/concours type events I've attended, although you do see a fair number in the parking lot (but just not on the lawn). Porsche nuts seem to have little interest in showing or looking at them, although many like to own them.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default tailgate auto close operation

OK picture this. Nothing in the cargo area. Zip, nothing. Lift tailgate... rrrrrrrrrr-up, works fine. Press the red box for the auto close and 5 times out of 10 it will close as it should then pop-open about a foot as if it thinks something is in the way. Dealer tried to trouble shoot this 6 months ago with no luck. Back in tomorrow for other stuff (tires with a snow flake and montains) so if you have a hunch we need leads.
Thanks
woops this was supposed to be a new post... sorry ;->
Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Cliffh93
7th Gear

I suspect the next generation of car nuts will look at SUV's in general the same way my son's generation looks at mini-vans - the cars their parents drove. And how cool is 15-19 mpg going to be in the future?

Quick Reply: Do you ever think we will see this day?