Sponsored by:

'06 Turbo S vs '08 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Turbo S vs '08 Turbo

I have been looking at prices lately of the '06CTS and the '08CT.

It seems the turbo s has some big updates over the '06 turbo (+60 hp, bigger brakes) but the Turbo S is only 10hp up over the '08 Turbo.

Prices for the '06TS are a little cheaper than the '08T but now the '08 are not much more. I would say they are in the same general ballpark

Here is what the big differences are:
4.8L vs 4.5L
Bold new headlights and font end vs old front end.
PDCC (which from whta I can tell actually has the locking rear diff of the '06 advanced off road)
Direct Injection vs EFI
Better mpg for the '08
Power Tail gate on '08

Some of the engine changes eliminated the coolant tubes that failed.

Also, I think that all the early ones are simply a rolling time bomb that a person is lucky if the car will actually run for more than 5 minutes (right LTC??). Is there much difference is reliability between '06 and '08? I worry that the '08 is the first generation of direct injection and as with many new technologies they may not be the most reliable. DFI injectors are much more complex as the very high pressure EFI. Just look at how much more expensive diesel fuel pumps are than normal gas fuel pumps.

So overall, assuming very similar miles, which is the better Turbo to own for long term?

-Dana
Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Conventional wisdom says the newer model is always better, all other things being equal... but something tells me this won't be the case here.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

06 CTT-S is the last version of the 1st gen which should atleast have most of the problems with the earlier releases fixed (or figured out).. well.. aside from the coolant pipes.. the coils are now covered..

I'm bias in taking the 06 CTT-S = cheaper now, but more so because it's the first Turbo S in the Cayenne family.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a tough call, with prices so close.

I think if I were planning to keep it forever, I'd do the Turbo S. That model truly is souped up for performance. But if I knew I would resell it in a few years, the '08 might make better financial sense.

Of course, I subscribe to the theory that performance and non-SUV-ness is why all of us buy Cayennes in the first place. So Turbo S, done.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:09 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

My theory is that the 951 doesnt do well in snow and that if I got a 911 it wouldnt do much better.

Instead of getting a replacement for the 951 so that a different car can sit in the garage 344 days a year (meaning i was lucky to have driven the 951 more than a few days) I can have a nice fast ride that I can use everyday and even take the family in (its hard to fit someone in the back with the rollbar).

One thing I like abouyt the '08s, is the sport mode. It allows the car to start in 1st without manual shifting of it. I also like the headlights better.

But the DFI engine seems like it will have its own problems. Reading excellence they are saying the coolant pipes were replaced by manifold cross-overs that blowout and the engine must be removed to fix this issue. The coolant pipes seem more minor in comparision. I have also seen injection/pump issues with the DFI engines on this forum. It just seems the "normal" EFI is more proven technology.

-Dana
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM
jacksonhunter31
2nd Gear

I owned an 06 Turbo, drove it f0r 30k, sold it to my father (his winter beater he calls it with a smile--his summer car is an 87 911) who has taken it to 90k miles. I bought the car on ebay with a little warranty left, had the dealer do some minor work under warranty. No major issues with the car at all. Excellence mag calls these cars very reliable and that is certainly my (our) experience. You can get 06 Turbo for the price of a new Hyundai.. The only caveat for me is that the trubo sucks, drinks, slurps gas...if you get 15mpg you are doing very well, 12-14mpg is more normal and if you drive it hard that number can go way down. Winter tires are a must if you live in a cold climate--tire rack has great wheel-tire deals.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanaT
I think that all the early ones are simply a rolling time bomb
Yup, pretty much...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
Yup, pretty much...

More BS!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 AM
lnferno
Advanced

I posed this exact same question a few months ago. After a lot of research and looking for the right Cayenne at the right price point, I think I found an 06 CTTS. I'm going to check it out after Christmas and if everything checks out, I'm going to get it.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cole
More BS!
Last two SUVs I have had have been Jeep Grand Cherokees. I wouldn't call them the model of reliability.

Brake rotors = 10 -15k miles before they warp (on both the WJ and WK).
WJ Colling = what a joke. But putting on a big huge npoisy fan fixed that.
WJ Rear clunking. Pretty much normal.
WK Rear differntial/bearings: First one =18K miles. Second Diff = 20k miles. Third Diff = Well about 4k on it at the moment.
WK Traction Control = sometimes it just activates and cuts power but dealer cant duplicate.
WK Anti lock brakes = the occasion warning that the electronic brake system inoperative. Dealer can't duplicate.
Hemi rattle = normal sound that sounds like exhaust leak.

But overall, the WJ was a really nice little SUV for the trails and snow. The WK is a lot more powerful and has better street manners.

So, I think going from a GC to a Cayenne, I wont see much difference in reliability.

-Dana
Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

60K on 08 CTT and it has been very reliable. Hard on fuel and brakes but very high quality generally

Quick Reply: '06 Turbo S vs '08 Turbo