Sponsored by:

2011 Tiptronic shifting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tiptronic shifting question

My 2001 Boxster S is Tiptronic. In Automatic mode, I'm able to use the steering wheel shifters to manually override the Automatic gear for about 5 seconds or so. This is without changing the Tiptronic mode. The tranny is in Auto mode, but I can manually, temporarily override the Automode, by using the steering wheel shifters.

For example, if the auto mode has the car in 3rd gear, I can manually shift it into 2nd gear with the steering wheel shifters. The tranny will then stay in 2nd gear for about 5 (or maybe 8) seconds before the auto mode takes over again.

Does the 2011 Cayenne Tipronic allow for the manual override using the steering wheel shifters while in Auto mode ? It didn't when I tried it yesterday. I'm just wondering if there's some setting that I don't know about that's preventing this, or if that's just the way this Tiptronic works.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the paddles, but they work as you suggest. I use them when entering fast turns. I'm actually having a fairly long learning curve in getting used to the transmission in both sport and regular mode. It seems to want to hold a gear at high rpm (especially in "sport" mode) for way too long once I back off of the gas. Then it takes a bit too long to make the shift up if I manually hit the +paddle. Is it just me getting used to the tiptronic?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

On my 997.2 PDK (auto transmission), it will hold the lower gears if I drive it in manual mode. When you manually changed gears with your paddles was your gear lever on the manual mode or auto mode. If it is in the auto-mode, it will over-ride your paddle shifts in a few seconds.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto mode, Woot. Does the PDK behave similarly to the Tip?
Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
V6Guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I resorted to reading the manual. The Cayenne Tiptronic is supposed to work exactly like it does on my Boxster. I might have a problem. I'll verify it tomorrow and put a call into my dealer if it's not working properly.

Quick Reply: 2011 Tiptronic shifting question