Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne S; Critique my build

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne S; Critique my build

I'm going to pull the trigger Friday and order my 2011 Cayenne S. Thought I'd post to get some last minute input on my build. I had a two rough goals in mind in specing out the car.

1. Try to keep the MSRP to around $85K.
2. Focus on performance not frills.

Since this will be an everyday vehicle I wanted something easy to care for so light colors were at the top of the list. I like Sand White, but the interior color that I felt worked best with that was Umber which meant going for the leather at additional cost. This made reaching goal #1 above more difficult and sort of violated goal #2. Anyway, I decided on Silver/Black instead. Somewhat common perhaps, but actually the same combo as on my Audi S4 wagon which the Cayenne will replace, and which I think is very attractive.

So, what essential must-have thing have I forgotten? Critique my build!

2011 Cayenne S
Classic Silver Metallic
Standard Interior Black
8 speed Tip
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
8 way power seats
Trailer Coupling
Park Assist F/R
PDCC
Air Suspension w/PASM
PTV
Sport Steering wheel w/paddles
Non-smoker package
Bose Surround Sound
Convenience Package
(PCM w/NAV, Bi-Xenon Headlights, Heated Front Seats, Auto Dim Mirrors)

MSRP including destination charge $85,520
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

looks good, how about some crests in the headrests?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Mike, I love your build. Silver is the easiest color to upkeep for a DD. A couple of comments. How important is roof rails to you as U can't add it at a later date. How about rear side air bags.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thoughts:

I would seriously look at the pano roof. It is fantastic. When I ordered it I was a little worried that even with the sun screen closed on days with very strong sun the interior would become unbearable. I live in San Francisco, so there aren't many extremely hot days, but on the few really bright days you can close the sunscreen and it's almost like a solid roof. At $600, it's really a fantastic option. I don't know if you have kids, but for mine the rear sun-screen is also a very useful feature, and at 300 and change it's really worth it.

The last thing I noticed is that you picked the Convenience pack - try rebuilding with the premium, or even prem plus package, you'll get a lot of other decent features for the same cost as the car you have currently configured.

The car that I ordered and received a few weeks ago is as follows: Cayenne S with prem package(14way seats, nav, bi-xenon, heated seats, mirrors, PASM, some other stuff), pano roof, rear sunscreen, rear airbags, exterior blackout package, 19" Cayenne Turbo wheels. I got Black/Black.

I really like silver on the new cayennes - that was my first choice, but the wife got to pick the color.

Best of luck.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by rijowysock
looks good, how about some crests in the headrests?
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Mike, I love your build. Silver is the easiest color to upkeep for a DD. A couple of comments. How important is roof rails to you as U can't add it at a later date. How about rear side air bags.
Originally Posted by sid_vicious
My thoughts:

I would seriously look at the pano roof. It is fantastic. When I ordered it I was a little worried that even with the sun screen closed on days with very strong sun the interior would become unbearable. I live in San Francisco, so there aren't many extremely hot days, but on the few really bright days you can close the sunscreen and it's almost like a solid roof. At $600, it's really a fantastic option. I don't know if you have kids, but for mine the rear sun-screen is also a very useful feature, and at 300 and change it's really worth it.

The last thing I noticed is that you picked the Convenience pack - try rebuilding with the premium, or even prem plus package, you'll get a lot of other decent features for the same cost as the car you have currently configured.

The car that I ordered and received a few weeks ago is as follows: Cayenne S with prem package(14way seats, nav, bi-xenon, heated seats, mirrors, PASM, some other stuff), pano roof, rear sunscreen, rear airbags, exterior blackout package, 19" Cayenne Turbo wheels. I got Black/Black.

I really like silver on the new cayennes - that was my first choice, but the wife got to pick the color.

Best of luck.
All great suggestions. (Sounds like you got a nice car, Sid ) Stuff like the pano roof and seat crests are nice but just not essential for me. I thought about rear seat airbags but it's just my wife and me now and we rarely have anything in the back seat area except luggage as the dog gets the cargo hold on a trip. OTOH, I hadn't given consideration to roof rails; that might be a good add. Thanks, w00tPORSCHE!

I did try combinations with the Premium and Premium plus. Premium plus has items I really don't lust after; sunshades, lane change assist, seat ventilation, back up camera, and with it included and the performance items I want, it blew my budget by about $3K. Not a big deal, but why pay more for extras that, while nice, I don't really want?

Premium does have options that I want like PASM and F/R park assist but the heated wheel is a throw away since I want the paddle shift wheel. Besides, there's a glitch built into Premium. Since Premium includes PASM you would expect that adding Air Suspension would only cost the difference between the $1990 PASM option and the $3980 Air Suspension w/PASM. Instead you end up paying the $7790 for Premium and full price for AS/PASM for a loss of $2K in "savings". It worked out better for me to get the PASM and park assist ala carte.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 AM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Build is bullet proof!

The only things that I would add/change would be add the panoramic roof, add the camera to park assist, and light comfort package to give a little mood lighting to the dark interior. With a modest 3-4% discount you will be well under your target of $85k

The price with the above changes comes to MSRP of $87,555 with a decent discount it should be well within reach of your target budget.

Last edited by AppleChilli; 12-02-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

OMG, I totally forgot about the Pana roof. Thanks sid and AC. Mike, you gotta go for it...pleeeeasssse. To bait you into a pana roof, I will say this. The roof rails are cheaper with the pana roof than without.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 AM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Premium does have options that I want like PASM and F/R park assist but the heated wheel is a throw away since I want the paddle shift wheel. Besides, there's a glitch built into Premium. Since Premium includes PASM you would expect that adding Air Suspension would only cost the difference between the $1990 PASM option and the $3980 Air Suspension w/PASM. Instead you end up paying the $7790 for Premium and full price for AS/PASM a loss of $2K in "savings". It worked out better for me to get the PASM and park assist ala carte.
Mike, Before taking this as gospel; I'd run this build by the dealer. I found out from my salesman, after the fact, that the build at Porsche.com is much different on the web for us, than it is for them. From what I understand, the saleman has the ability to get around/overide some of those "glitches" that rob us of our value.

When the system first came out they were ordering everything al la carte/the old way and not using the packages. Most salesman/dealers still aren't familiar with how to use the system, but if you find the right one that knows and has some seat time with that system, then you might be able to get the build the way you want it.

I'd try going in with a/b/c builds; it would be interesting to see if your numbers and options line up more accordingly after you sit down with your salesman and go over a few scenarios and figures.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Applechili help me out here. I had the 18-way and premium package plus (which has the 14-way built into it). Instead of paying the difference between 14 and 18-way, I am paying full price for the 18-way. My salesman is a nice guy but was not able to help me in this regard. Can U pick the brains of your salesman when u get a chance. Mike, sorry to digress.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 AM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Not a problem w00t.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Thanks AC...yu da man. You can just PM me after he gets back to you on that.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Ok w00t, Apple, and Sid you've sold me on the Pano roof. w00t, you're right, if I include the rails (and they are a very practical add) they are $1190, and the roof and rails together are $1480, so the roof ends up costing a bargain $370! (I knew this thread would cost me money but these are great suggestions.)

No problem on the digression, w00t. Apple, I was on the phone with my salesman this PM getting some preliminary info and he had his configurator up. He confirmed that I would indeed have to pay full price on the AS/PASM even though the PASM portion was already included in the Premium package. Sounds like the same issue w00t is running into.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:41 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Mike you will thank us for the pana roof .. Mark my words. Can you also check w/ your salesman if one has to pay full price on 18 way when ordered in conjunction with PP package which has 14-way seats figured into its package.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Mike you will thank us for the pana roof .. Mark my words. Can you also check w/ your salesman if one has to pay full price on 18 way when ordered in conjunction with PP package which has 14-way seats figured into its package.
w00t, I will ask him. When are you ordering your car, or have you already? I may have missed your posting about it. Details, please!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:57 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Mike my (I should say wife's) Cayenne S build date is next week with a mid-Jan delivery. Here are the details. Please don't say that I am crazy to not go for the CTT since 20K of options that I have on my CS is built onto the turbo base price. I knew that very well and resale is not a factor for me. Hence my decision to go for this build

Cayenne S tiptronic

2T Jet Black Metallic
VB 2-toneNaturLthrEspresso/Cognac
0M1 Extended Range Fuel Tank
2ZH Heated3-spokeMultifuncLeathrSW
4X4 Side Airbags rear
1D6 TrailerCouplw/o RemovBallJoint
3FU Panorama Roof System
1BK AirSusp-Selflvl&HeightAdj-PASM
1NP WheelHbCvr w/ColorPorscheCrest
1Y1 PTV Plus
6GB WheelArchExt-SideDoorProtMould