GTS Active/Non-Active Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default GTS Active/Non-Active Exhaust Tips

I've posted some pictures of my road salt-encrusted exhaust tips for your viewing.

Who can explain to me (in a non-scientific manner) why each side's (Left & Right) neighbouring chrome tip is inactive?

Remember, there may be more than one answer to this question.....
Attached Images   
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM
titleist1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust only comes out of one of the 2 tips on each side, one is just for looks, this might be answer?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:44 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Or, the majority of the exhaust comes out of the in-board pipes...... I Dunno
Old 11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

On Tiptronic-equipped Cayenne S (w/optional sport exhaust) & GTS models, the two outermost tailpipes are active in normal mode. When Sport Mode is triggered via the console switch, a diaphragm or damper flap switches direction of the path of exhaust gases into the two inner tailpipes. These two inner tailpipes are muffled in a different manner so that a sportier exhaust note can be heard.

When I first saw this, I actually thought that Porsche ran dummy exhaust tailpipes for a sportier look (à la American-built cars).

By the way, the Touareg equipped with the V-8 works the same way.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Just wondering if other GTS or S w/Sport Exhaust owners noticed a loud metallic popping sound while starting their cars in the early morning during a sub-zero cold snap? You'll rarely hear it from the inside but if you're walking around the back of the car, it'll startle you on how loud it sounds.

Our exhaust systems normally start-up in sport mode so that you'll hear the brief V-8 engine growl. Within seconds, the system reverts back to normal mode and this is when the diaphram attempts to switch exhaust path but remains frozen. After about 15-30 seconds (depending upon outdoor ambient temperature), two loud metallic popping notes (usually within a few seconds of each other) emit from the exhaust cluster beneath the rear of the car.

Maintenance issue or normal?

Quick Reply: GTS Active/Non-Active Exhaust Tips