Sponsored by:

Which is Cylinder #5 on a V-8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which is Cylinder #5 on a V-8?

'04 V-8 (TT). I thought it was one of the front two, and something led me to believe it was driver's side.

Just replaced the coolant pipes. After I reassembled the intake manifold and wiring maze, I got a CEL with codes P0205 - Injector Circuit Open Cylinder #5 and P0305 - Misfire Cylinder #5.

My first guess is a fuel injector wire that isn't situated on the injector correctly. But the misfire part is throwing me off. Aren't misfires rather violent and abrupt? The engine is running, just roughly.

Bad coilpack is my second guess, even though I upgraded all 8 to the "-05s" 20K miles ago.

Or did I somehow conjur up the Cardan Shaft demon...?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Found it at RennTech (Thanks Loren):

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...n-04-turbo-45/
Old 11-23-2010, 05:21 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

So I pulled the coils and plugs on cylinders 5 to see how they looked. Coilpack was not cracked, but plug had noticeable oil on the threads. Looked into shaft and could see almost an oily sludge inside.

Pulled coils and plug from #6 to compare, and that plug was dry as a bone. Shaft looked completely clean. So I switched the coils and plugs to see if CEL codes would follow the coils/plugs, or stay with the cylinder. As soon as I started it, the engine purred like it was new. Took it for maybe a mile run and I thought I had a new vehicle. Reminded me of my first turbo test drive.

We'll see how long it lasts. Any good reason the #5 cylinder would has a nice oily buildup in the cylinder?

Quick Reply: Which is Cylinder #5 on a V-8?