Seat Belt Buckle Plastic Housing Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Seat Belt Buckle Plastic Housing Breaks

I'm quite surprised that nobody has mentioned this problem here on the Cayenne forum in Rennlist.

On two separate occasions and with different passengers, the plastic housing that surrounds the seat belt buckle (item no.17 in the below picture) comes apart at the seam and leaves only the skeleton structure.

When I called the dealer, they told me not to worry as they always keep at least one entire buckle ***'y in stock. Strange...
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

duct tape
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
duct tape
I used black electrical tape until they repair/replace the part and oddly enough, you don't notice it. If it were not for the extreme cabin heat during summer months, trust me it would stay there.

How about large-sized heat-shrink tubing?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

actually good idea, 1.5 inch shrink should work fine, I may have some also !!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 PM
bjustice
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually happened to me today! So aggravated. When I purchased my 05 CS, the housing was already broken and my local dealership replaced it for around $150 w/ parts and labor. Since being ripped off by them on another occasion I have decided to not use them anymore. I've been looking around for the part to attempt a self replacement.

Anyone try the replacement themselves? BTW - I broke mine (center seat belt housing) when I tried to lay the back seat down to load some cargo.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

The worse part is not knowing that it's broken and as you grab hold of the buckle, you shear off a few layers of skin in the process!

I actually tried using super-glue however with the type of ABS plastic that's used to make the housing, the glue doesn't work.

If you DO attempt to self-repair, as this is an SRS-related item, just remember to unplug the battery (just-in-case). Also, re-apply some lock-tite to the bolt threads when re-torquing. The rear seat-belt housing should be much easier to access than the front which requires seat removal.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Buckle Plastic Housing Breaks