whee choice for 2011 new cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 PM
shawnchenzju
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whee choice for 2011 new cayenne

Hi guys:
I would like to order 2011 new cayenne 3.6 model, and I'm really confused with the wheel choice.

I like the 20 inch wheel, but someone told me to choose 19inch instead because in the basic 3.6 model, 20 inch wheel will slow down the car's acceleration, and the 0-60 acc time can be slowed up to 1 second or more.

Anyone who has "big-wheel-experience" can give me some suggestion?
And is it true that 20 inch wheels wear out tires far more easily than 19 inch ones?

Thanks A lot!
Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

your discussing rotational mass,

the larger the wheel, the mass of the wheel goes towards the edge of the wheel/tire combo which then causes a larger rotational mass which in turn causes accel and decel to worsen... also the larger the wheel the smaller the sidewall (if you keep the same overall diameter (which is necessary for proper speedo/gearing))

i personally really like the 20" RS wheels, but yes they will be heavier and cause somewhat slower accel/decel... a full second i would think is a little over exaggerated but it will be slightly off..

if your worried about Accel/Decel and want larger wheels i would say get the standard wheels and take the funds you were going to allot to PORSCHE and buy a set of HRE COMP series wheels (They come 18/19/20) the COMP series are insanely light (the 19x12 i had on carrera were 21lbs) also they have a step lip design which makes the wheel centers 1" smaller than the hoops which decreases rotational mass... the other good things about step lip are: makes brakes look larger (if you got 20", its a 19" center so the brakes have 1" less space around them making them look larger) also the "drop center" on the outside means water/debris cannot simply sit inside the wheel causing it to feel off balance.

basically im saying the larger PORSCHE wheels besides the 21" Forged models would be kinda heavy and if your going to upgrade you might as well pay for a lightweight forged wheel to get the best performance... i would say pound for pound the HRE COMP's in 20" with tires would be lighter than the stock 18's with tires.. (better performance)

tires are tires, wear depends on the tread rating... the larger the wheel usually the tread rating is less..

Some HRE COMP's in 19"

COMP series: http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/seri...=/COMP/COMP90/

if you need to order HRE's and located in USA.. i have a vendor i dealt with when i used to own my wheel company and could have them give you my old dealer pricing on a set (you would deal with them, and i would just ask them to extend my pricing to you)
Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Great info rijowysock! I was planning to go aftermarket as well when my cayenne gets here. I was actually looking at a 20" HRE P40's.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
shawnchenzju
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank u so much rijowysock! I really appreciate your info!
The 19 inch wheel in cayenne 2011(265/50/R19) looks a little...well, small, and 20 inch looks just fine... I think i'll go for the 20 inch ones

Quick Reply: whee choice for 2011 new cayenne