Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 CTT CPO Strut Replacement. Both or just one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:44 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 CTT CPO Strut Replacement. Both or just one?

I've had a light "rattling" sound coming from the front left of my CTT for a while now and took it in to the dealer. They initially thought it was the front upper control arm but after replacing it AND aligning it the sound is still there.

So they ordered overnight a new air strut () to replace the worn out one. Well I just got a call from my service advisor telling me that he was checkign with PCNA to see if BOTH should be replaced or just one as they sent a PAIR of new struts. My advisor said he was more than happy to do both, but didn't want to get shafted with the bill if my CPO will only cover one...

So is it "normal" or should it be anticipated that both air struts should be replaced when only one is failing? Or just the one? It seems like it might possibly introduce some safety concerns with one being new and one being well worn (especially since the other has failed already and it is just a matter of time for the other one). Typically you only replace these in pairs (kind of like tires and brakes) but who knows what Porsche will do.

Suggestions from those who have been in this spot or who work for/with Porsche?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

there were problems with early struts, metal fatigue. Mine blew out (bang) and 1 was replaced
Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Thanks Mudman. Any idea on the rough build months this was an issue with? I'm still waiting to hear back from my advisor but am hoping they will do them both as they have roughly 72k on them and I'm sure the oil in the "old" strut isn't nearly as capable of that of a new one.

Last edited by PutterMcGavin; 11-17-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Woot! They replaced them both! I'm sure my email to him expressing my concern didn't hurt

Quick excerpt:

"Concern exists with the Cayenne and how it might react with one new strut and one old one. You do brakes in pairs, tires, etc. at the same time to avoid complications and I feel strongly the same exists in this situation. I don’t know if it will introduce bias in an awkward way that might jeopardize that car’s handling characteristics under certain circumstances with one strut reacting at one rate and the other reacting at another (although the passenger side hasn’t failed yet I’m sure it isn’t as “tight” and responsive as the new one from wear)."

Quick Reply: '05 CTT CPO Strut Replacement. Both or just one?