Sponsored by:

CEL lit up..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL lit up..

drove for 16 miles today.. outside temp 54 F, AC/heater (inside) at 78 F..
when i parked and about to pull the key out, i noticed the CEL lit up.. no unusual noise(s).. it just lit up.. now i'm waiting for the car to cool down so i can check the oil (i just had an oil change a month ago drove it for about 900 miles now since i got it - even drove from dallas to houston).. last time i drove it was last friday for about 20 miles..

anything to look for?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Gas cap seal?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Brillo
when i parked and about to pull the key out, i noticed the CEL lit up.. no unusual noise(s).. it just lit up.. now i'm waiting for the car to cool down so i can check the oil (i just had an oil change a month ago drove it for about 900 miles now since i got it - even drove from dallas to houston).. last time i drove it was last friday for about 20 miles..

anything to look for?
Why do you need the car to cool down to check the oil?

+1 on the gas cap not being set properly, if you are the luckiest man on earth.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coil Pack?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Why do you need the car to cool down to check the oil?

+1 on the gas cap not being set properly, if you are the luckiest man on earth.
If he is looking for the level of the oil, my experience is you have to wait for a lot of the oil to settle back down into the pan to get a good read of the level. Not so much a cool down, but wait for a bit, which usually happens after the cool down.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:27 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Brillo

anything to look for?
What year and model of car, where are you located.

CEL always has to do with emissions (unless the system it self is broken) so anything with ignition, DME, intake, exhaust or gas tank.

If it is an older car, my guess is it is coils, and on the slim it is the gas cap if you used filled up.

After a certain amount of cycles of on off, if the error doesn't happen again, the light will clear.

Cheapest way is buy a Durametric cable, or for that matter, I believe even a 50 dollar code reader from car parts place, will tell you a generic why the light was lit. The Durametric is more Porsche specific. If it can save you one visit to the dealer, it basically pays for itself at that point.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you can use a code reader at Autozone for free. Without a code you are just guessing.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

model: 06 CTT-S with 31,118 miles..
unfortunately, not the luckiest as the gas cap is sealed - that's the first thing i checked.
last friday, i took it to a shop for to get a green sheet and they said they'll need to run the emissions test again so they did that.. that's all i can think of.. then i realized i had the CEL lit up (car was just parked and when i'm to go home after work, the CEL lit up) on my MB and this is what they found out:

44714 WARR PERFORM SHORT TEST FOUND DTC 0810 AND 0814 R/R AIR PUMP RELAY PER DAS AND CKED OK PERFORELEC TEST AT AIR PUMP AND FOUND 12.4 VOLTS GOOD BUT AIR PUMP WOULD NOT COME ON R/R AIR PUMP AND REPLACED IT PERFORM TEST AFTER TEST WITH DAS ACTIVATED AIR PUMP WITH DAS AND TURNED ON OPERATING AS DESIGNED

basically something to do with some emissions part or function (i'm mechanically challenged and just typed in what they had in the invoice).. the MB was under warranty

if the same thing/same issue happened here, how much do you think the dealership would charge for this?

thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

is it safe to drive to autozone to get a read/code? don't hear/see anything unusual.. oil level ok
Old 11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, if the CEL is not flashing and just stays on the display it is ok to drive and like previously mentioned, it's most likely emissions related.

Do a search on "CEL". This has been discussed many times.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

this is driving me nuts!! i bought extended warranty - but it's just a month (since i got it, never planned to use it, but hey - it's an "insurance" if incase anything major happens).. hopefully this won't cost me too much..

anyways, i guess the good part is that, the CEL is NOT flashing :-)

was thinking if the emissions test have done anything to the car that may have caused this? something's fishy (that same shop).. i took my MB there for an emissions test and 2 months later (looking at my MB invoice), the CEL lit up.. coincidence?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:05 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

anyone from houston - recommended shop (aside from a dealership)? thanks to everyone!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

or a good dealership? porsche west houston (by I-10), anybody tried them?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

UPDATE: got Autozone to read and showed P0441.. scheduled appointment to Porsche West Houston on Tuesday - if it's the gas cap, I already checked and tightened it.. even added more fuel (at 1/2 tank now).. i tried to push it and boost at 0,8

as said, did emissions test prior (exactly one week ago) and didn't drive the car since the CEL..

i know the car is out of warranty and i have extended warranty but i'm a bit worried that this may cause me $$$$$$$$ for repairs (i'm doubting the company I bought the extended warranty from - it's late, but i am reading bad reviews on claims.. i called them and they said the car needs to have 1,000 miles since sign-up so that they are sure the car is in proper operating condition = and i've driven the car LESS than 1k miles)

any suggestions? any estimates on cost(s)?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-warnings.html

Quick Reply: CEL lit up..