Sponsored by:

Dangers of fools changing coils

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dangers of fools changing coils

I recently had to change my coils again, I still had 01's in and replaced with 03's I already had.

Its not a hard job, but you have to take your time and remove things like the upper engine mount and the compressors at the back of the engine, or rather loosen them and get them out of the way so you can get the designer covers off.

The last time they were changed was a long time ago under warranty by the dealer, Holberts of Warrington, PA (who does a great job normally).

Here are some pictures of what I found, for those not familiar with the coils I am sorry for boring you. (No pictures of the cracked designer cover passenger side which is easy to do I guess if you force it)

The main issue, as those who have done this work, its not hard at all, there is no reason the damage the clips or to break off a screw, but the biggest issue is that the damage was not corrected, the tech used adhesive to disguise the problems and I guess the worst of all is that when I sent these over to the dealer all I got back is that the tech who did it no longer works there.

Dealers have bad techs also, thought I would share.

OK rant finished

Attached Images      
Old 11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default FWIW

Those clips break off of the coilpac connectors all the time.
Not just Porsche, my audi S4 and TT use the same connectors.
Not a big deal
Putting a glob of goop to help keep the connector on is not such a bad thing in my opinion.
The connector fits pretty tightly even with out the safety clip.
The alternative of cutting and splicing in a new connector would not be my first choice of repair since a little goop is fine.

That sheared off bolt is another story altogether though.
Pretty easy to cross thread those which is probably why yours broke off.
There is no excuse for not informing the customer of both issues.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm surprised that the tech didn't glue the screw head 'stump' back on to further disguise the breakage! I'm sure that this happens all the time at all dealerships however many of don't know whether or not it's actually happened to us. I guess it's more of a reason to DIY.

The connector can be replaced using an AMP connector tool which resembles a hollow steel tube that fits over each connector to release the retainer tabs. Not a big job however one that requires much patience.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sheared off the #8 cyclinder screw when changing the plugs on the old beta. The connector was so tight back there, I never had a problem with the missing screw. It's extremely easy to crossthread those little buggers. Be careful!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Vino
Racer

Mudman,
I think the dealer should replace the clip on the ignition coil harness and they should rethread the screw hole with some kind of tap so the engine cover can be put back on correctly for future repairs.
I would be pretty pissed off as well if I found these issues especially with the glue!

I think techs must not be compensated so well for warranty work?
I have heard a lot of complaints about this, not from a Porsche Mechanic but others. I guess they have only so much time to repair something and get paid "X" amount for it??
I went through the same boat in the beginnings, the only difference is the dealer never did the work and left the same old parts on the car, long story but all is good.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I tend to agree but I am pretty sure that's not going to happen.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

How do you explain # 1 tho

Originally Posted by wirunner
I sheared off the #8 cyclinder screw when changing the plugs on the old beta. The connector was so tight back there, I never had a problem with the missing screw. It's extremely easy to crossthread those little buggers. Be careful!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I don't think thats correct, have you actually done one?

Originally Posted by Andy E.
I'm surprised that the tech didn't glue the screw head 'stump' back on to further disguise the breakage! I'm sure that this happens all the time at all dealerships however many of don't know whether or not it's actually happened to us. I guess it's more of a reason to DIY.

The connector can be replaced using an AMP connector tool which resembles a hollow steel tube that fits over each connector to release the retainer tabs. Not a big job however one that requires much patience.
99% sure these connectors are molded together and the pins are not removable.
Not your standard AMP connector
Replacement connectors come with wired pigtails attached and you need to cut and splice the new ones into place.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:41 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by mudman2
How do you explain # 1 tho
haha good point; there's a lot more room to work right there.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM
pcst
Racer

sorry to hear that,,, leaving your car in someone else's hands is very tough, but it's hard not to when your car is still under warranty.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found one sheared off too. Is it worth trying to tap/fix? It hasn't launched out of there yet...

Quick Reply: Dangers of fools changing coils