Sponsored by:

Poor Mans Bypass Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Muffler hack. When the wife first heard it she said, "Is it supposed to be that way?" Now she likes it. She just thinks I'm an idiot sometimes like when I video revving the truck in front of a crowded restaurant.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:46 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet the Kiddo loves it...........so you just removed the muffler and did you paint the pipes? The light dark contrast closed out before I could really review it........

I know flowmaster and other mufflers build a >>>>>>> vshape inside the muffler to refract the sound and double up the deep growl.........so if the muffler is empty......wonder if opening it up and mimicing the flowmaster design in the muffler would allow a deeper marine grade sound to eminate.

Sounds great......
Old 11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have thought about replacing the rear muffler with a pair of Flowmasters. I would like to tune the sound a bit.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys know

1. Sharkwerks has bypass pipes for the second cat and they are very high quality and bolt on/off? New and old gen Cayennes. Those are some nasty looking welds in the first post and the back part of the bypass pipe is welded in (vs clamp for Sharkwerks).
2. The second cat looks HIGHLY restrictive if you look inside of it. Doing a "gundo hack" does nothing to relieve back pressure where it needs to be most relieved? Why make noise and keep the system plugged up? Makes no sense to me to go for symbolism over substance?

John H, sounds like a NASCAR stocker! Lol Camera position right? Can't really be that loud?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:52 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
You guys know

1. Sharkwerks has bypass pipes for the second cat and they are very high quality and bolt on/off? New and old gen Cayennes. Those are some nasty looking welds in the first post and the back part of the bypass pipe is welded in (vs clamp for Sharkwerks).
2. The second cat looks HIGHLY restrictive if you look inside of it. Doing a "gundo hack" does nothing to relieve back pressure where it needs to be most relieved? Why make noise and keep the system plugged up? Makes no sense to me to go for symbolism over substance?

John H, sounds like a NASCAR stocker! Lol Camera position right? Can't really be that loud?
the pipes look to be for turbo, i would need for non turbo.. also PCNA has stated that for my carrera at least modifying the cats voids parts of warranty and given the new dFI engines i would prefer to leave warranty in tact... i could always put it back but just concerns me as the warranty it worth much more to me than 5hp;
Old 11-06-2010, 07:21 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
You guys know

The back part is still clamped, just wanted a quick job and chopped of long bit of pipe on the cats and welded. They do still bolt out.

The car is a 2005 S with 90k plus on it, no warranty and I spent a little less than 19k on it. I didn't care to spend the extra 900 bux on nice looking pretty pipes. As for the welds, any problems, I take it to the shop and they fix it for free, lifetime guarantee

I only posted this for those that want to spend a few hundred bux and are not as picky and just looking for cheap fun.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg

The car is a 2005 S with 90k plus on it, no warranty and I spent a little less than 19k on it. I didn't care to spend the extra 900 bux on nice looking pretty pipes. As for the welds, any problems, I take it to the shop and they fix it for free, lifetime guarantee

I only posted this for those that want to spend a few hundred bux and are not as picky and just looking for cheap fun.
I totally agree and think your pipes look fine. You don't need pretty welds and shiny pipes on the bottom of the car.

I have had complete custom exhausts done on other makes for less money than some of these companies want for these by pass pipes.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had the "poor mans exhaust" done to my '06 Turbo and I love it. $200 and it sounds better that I ever dreamed it would!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for u guys doing it the 'poor man's way'. I did it that way too. Sharkwerks/fabspeed pipes are a total rip off considering what goes into them. Who cares about pretty welds and I'm willing to bet any better 'flow' would not be discernible on any dyno. Mandrel bends or not, there is still an improvement over leaving the cats and if you're off warranty who cares. I don't really understand how they justify $600+ for those pipes. I've gotten bypass pipes for my previous Audis, BMW's and never paid that much. There's nothing to the design either. These guys need to stop gouging Porsche owners just because they are Porsche owners.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

@joes95rx7 can you post a clip?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 PM
heypete
Advanced

I got the "poor man's bypass" done too. It is well worth it... my CTT sounds a lot meaner and sounds amazing when idling
Old 11-13-2010, 10:37 AM
TommyH
8th Gear

thanks..really like this mod.. but can you at any point say the sound is anoying inside the car? resonance?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyH
thanks..really like this mod.. but can you at any point say the sound is anoying inside the car? resonance?
If you are talking the bypass pipes, on my S from outside it is noticeably more grumble from within, you hear it more when the car is quiet, and on accelerating spiritedly.

Hard to say what you like For me personally, I hate the super loud Harleys that are obviously illegally past the db limit for exhausts that zip up and down the street on summer weekends. I like Harleys, just not annoyances that rattles my homes windows.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I went out this morning and taped the inside and outside exhuast sounds. Uploaded to youtube but I get an error message when trying to publish here. Wrong file type. Any ideas? tia
Old 11-13-2010, 03:56 PM
TommyH
8th Gear

best feedback you get from your wife, she appreciate it then it probably works for my wife to

Quick Reply: Poor Mans Bypass Pipes