Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Quality S or CTT...Too Firm?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:56 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ride Quality S or CTT...Too Firm?

Hey Folks:

Seems my folks are interested in a SUV for life in Mexico- They’re octogenarians, who have previously had a BMW X5 sport package, which they complained was too rough. I suspect that it might have been the sport seats, but who is to say. As a point of reference, they currently drive a 1994 E500 (yes, that E500). I want to put the beasty up before the cobblestones beat her to death, and the folks need something more suited to comfortable rides….I haven’t been in a Cayenne yet myself.

Can anyone pass on year and option ideas? I’m thinking a CTT 05-06. I’m thinking that the CTT is the way to go because the options on it should cover all that they could want, plus the suspension package that comes with it. What about the seats? Ok, think I’ve covered it. My folks drive back and forth from Canada to Mexico so if you have any comments that you think I should hear shoot away don’t want them getting stuck with a ride I’ll have to unload shortly….TIA
Frank
Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM
occam
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ctt has the air suspension standard. It has 3 settings to choose from to soften it up. Comfort, normal or sport. Even in the sport mode I felt that the ride was smooth as glass compared to a cayenne with out the PASM (air suspension). Of you opt for the S model.. psm is not standard. You can tell if it has pasm (air suspension) as there will be two switches just below the shifter. One will have little pictures of shocks. Vehicles without pasm have one switch and a coin cup.

Mileage on a cayenne isnt the greatest for that long of a drive. Plus the premium gas makes it costly for that much driving. I recommended to my parents that they get a lexus rx300 for similar reasons.

Last edited by occam; 10-31-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

I agree with occam. Get PASM. On "normal" setting, I find the ride of our CS to be very smooth. Personally, I find the "comfort" setting to be a little too cushy for me, but then again, I'm not in my 80s...
Old 10-31-2010, 04:41 PM
quattrotman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are concerned with ride, they should not get a cayenne. While I love mine and the ride, it isn't nearly in the same comfort league as my wife's ML or my parent's X5. The cayenne is definitely on the 'sporty' side of the ride spectrum. Go test drive one...air ride or not, it's tuned for sportiness over comfort...it's a Porsche after all!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:46 PM
copasetic222
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by quattrotman
If they are concerned with ride, they should not get a cayenne. While I love mine and the ride, it isn't nearly in the same comfort league as my wife's ML or my parent's X5. The cayenne is definitely on the 'sporty' side of the ride spectrum. Go test drive one...air ride or not, it's tuned for sportiness over comfort...it's a Porsche after all!
I have to disagree My CTTS on normal or comfort rides better than my wife's ML 320cdi.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality S or CTT...Too Firm?