Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Dead Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks GoonBug, I'll check and clean those connections, just in case.

I contacted Porsche Latin America today, in order to see if they can get the Costa Rican dealer to accept my car. They seemed willing to help, but will have to wait and see if they actually help with this deal.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In terms of Porsche and the dealership, its i no ones interest for you to go elsewhere. Best of luck.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 AM
jacktripper93
2nd Gear

Default Pls help

Originally Posted by MBailey
My 2004 Cayenne TT refuses to start. The screen is red and says Steering Faulty and beeps. The shifter is locked. Car had to be put in neutral from below to be towed. Since ignition wont come on diagnostics cannot be run. Tech thought it might be ignition switch but changing that did not work. He is out of ideas and car has been dead since Thurs. Need some serious HELP!!
No luck with search...
How did u fix? Have same problem
Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 PM
jacktripper93
2nd Gear

Default Steering faulty

Originally Posted by MBailey
My 2004 Cayenne TT refuses to start. The screen is red and says Steering Faulty and beeps. The shifter is locked. Car had to be put in neutral from below to be towed. Since ignition wont come on diagnostics cannot be run. Tech thought it might be ignition switch but changing that did not work. He is out of ideas and car has been dead since Thurs. Need some serious HELP!!
No luck with search...
How did u fix,what was problem. I have same problem
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 AM
in2vinyl
1st Gear

Default Steering Fault

Originally Posted by jacktripper93
How did u fix,what was problem. I have same problem
I have the same problem how did you guys get the problem fixed
Old 12-23-2017, 03:41 PM
ringnalda
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Faulty or "your car is now a paperweight"

This is going to become a more and more common problem as the components used in this circuitry get older. It is basically the same in the Audi A8, the VW Touareg and the Cayenne.

The official Porsche solution is to buy a new steering column, which including removal costs, replacement and recoding will run around $4000. There are some alternatives. Tom at Speedometer solutions in Chicago is very capable of fixing the actual problem, but you will need to send him the steering lock module (not too bad to remove but not for the feint of heart) as well as the kessy module and a functional key. The total cost for this depends on whether the lock was active or not, which decides if you can get the lock off with everything in place, or if you have to remove the steering column to get it removed. I would say removal costs will be around $250 or so. Tom charges $399 to repair the module and GUARANTEES his work.

The last alternative is to get all the necessary parts from a junkyard, but you will need the lock from the steering column, the kessy as well as the keys. You will then use all of the new electronics, and switch the blade from your old key. I have no idea what you could get such a set for but it will all need to be matching. Once these things are programmed, there is NO reprogramming.

I have just gone through this, and my car is back on the road after spending less than $500. Sucks but better than $4k...
Old 12-23-2017, 03:59 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Originally Posted by ringnalda
This is going to become a more and more common problem as the components used in this circuitry get older. It is basically the same in the Audi A8, the VW Touareg and the Cayenne.

The official Porsche solution is to buy a new steering column, which including removal costs, replacement and recoding will run around $4000. There are some alternatives. Tom at Speedometer solutions in Chicago is very capable of fixing the actual problem, but you will need to send him the steering lock module (not too bad to remove but not for the feint of heart) as well as the kessy module and a functional key. The total cost for this depends on whether the lock was active or not, which decides if you can get the lock off with everything in place, or if you have to remove the steering column to get it removed. I would say removal costs will be around $250 or so. Tom charges $399 to repair the module and GUARANTEES his work.

The last alternative is to get all the necessary parts from a junkyard, but you will need the lock from the steering column, the kessy as well as the keys. You will then use all of the new electronics, and switch the blade from your old key. I have no idea what you could get such a set for but it will all need to be matching. Once these things are programmed, there is NO reprogramming.

I have just gone through this, and my car is back on the road after spending less than $500. Sucks but better than $4k...
^^^ THIS - Yep, I went through this exact same thing with my old Cayenne. Came out and it had the red steering fault and the whole car was bricked solid. Towed it to my Indy and he took the steerling lock module off, bent the shaft pin out of the way (after drilling out the rivets in the mechanisms housing) put it back together and reprogrammed. Fixed it for good, charged me 500 bucks (I gave him 600 to say thanks). Porsche was going to put in a new steering column at 4K, what a bunch of F**** thieves.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Dead Need Help!