Sponsored by:

Will bypass pipes void my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:37 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will bypass pipes void my warranty

just had the coolant dump out on me. Had to have her towed to the dealer. Will having my recently installed pipes void my cpo?? Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes.
However, it is at the dealer's discretion. If the PCNA regional rep happens to see it, you're done.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

So.... should I have the cats put back on before they look at her?? major pia. but don't want to risk it either.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It depends on your relationship with your dealer. There are some dealers who will install aftermarket modifications and stand by them; others won't.

Clearly, it can be argued that a cat bypass should have no impact on plastic coolant tubes cracking/leaking, but technically you have modified the vehicle in such a way as to void the OEM warranty.

Your dealer gets paid by PCNA for warranty work, so if PCNA declares that you voided your warranty based on modifications, your dealer won't get paid and you get the bill.

Ask your service manager.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Good luck.
If they give you a hard time, just use the phrase "Well, Larry said...."
That ought to move things along nicely.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Have not had to take this car in for service yet, thus no relationship, or any idea how they will respond.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They aren't a problem w/ my dealer on my CPO Pepper and I installed the bypass pipes myself. I asked the dealer before I installed them though.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes.
However, it is at the dealer's discretion. If the PCNA regional rep happens to see it, you're done.
This is total B.S. It is illegal to deny warranty service due to after market parts.
They can deny a specific claim if they can prove the specific after market part caused the specific warranty issue.

This is all covered under the federal Magnuson Moss warranty act. Just Google it!

By pass pipes can't cause coolant pipes to go bad.

Last edited by Cole; 08-26-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem at my dealer also
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole

This is total B.S. It is illegal to deny warranty service due to after market parts.
They can deny a specific claim if they can prove the specific supermarket part caused the specific warranty issue.

This is all covered under the federal Magnuson Moss warranty act. Just Google it!

By pass pipes can't cause coolant pipes to go bad.
The issue is whether or not PCNA choses to come to the conclusion that the vehicle has been modified in a way that may have lead to the failure.
In that case, the burden is upon the owner to prove otherwise.

Purchasing a new car does not provide you with free reign to install any aftermarket components you chose and still have full warrant protection.

For instance, if you install an aftermarket turbocharger on an engine and then have an engine problem which you seek to have remedied under OEM warranty coverage and you are declined, what has the OEM done wrong?

For instance, if you alter your vehicle's audio/electrical system and then have issues related to those systems which you seek to have remedied under OEM warranty coverage and you are declined, what has the OEM done wrong?

For instance, if you remove the OEM wheels and install oversized/improperly sized wheels/tires and suffer a suspension component failure which you seek to have remedied under OEM warranty coverage and you are declined, what has the OEM done wrong.

I agree that replacing 'like' OEM components with aftermarket replacements )(like basic maintenance items...filters, fuses, tires of the same size/rating, etc) are not cause for warranty exclusion.

In this case, as I stated, it is unlikely, given the history of the cracked coolant pipes, that PCNA would decline warranty coverage due to the presence of the cat bypass.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Cole
Drifting

You obviously have never read the law. It specifically puts the burden of proof on the dealers and manufactures.

You can modify anything you want on a new car. They only thing they can deny coverage on it the parts they did not produce and the parts that may have been damaged directly by those parts( which were all of your examples).

They can not simply "void your whole warranty" as you implied in your first post by having an aftermarket part on the car.

The magnuson moss act was put into law to specifically protect the consumer against this exact monopolistic activity and to stimulate competition.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Cole
Drifting

In this case, as I stated, it is unlikely, given the history of the cracked coolant pipes, that PCNA would decline warranty coverage due to the presence of the cat bypass.
No, its not just "unlikely" it is "illegal" for them to deny such a claim. Cat by pass pipes have zero relation to the coolant pipes.

About the only thing they could deny due to cat by pass pipes is an exhaust leak of some sort.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Well car is at the stealer now.. pipes and all, so we shall see. Thanks guys.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:15 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
No, its not just "unlikely" it is "illegal" for them to deny such a claim. Cat by pass pipes have zero relation to the coolant pipes.

About the only thing they could deny due to cat by pass pipes is an exhaust leak of some sort.
The wording of the law has nothing to do with what happens in real life at the dealers.

Many a GT3 owner had their RMS problems not covered under warranty, simply because Porsche claimed that a center muffler swap can adjust the back pressure and cause a leak. They simply wouldn't pay.

You gonna take PCNA to court?

Quick Reply: Will bypass pipes void my warranty