Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this Cayenne from dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 AM
SUPO
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I buy this Cayenne from dealer???

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, low miles (10,000). I show up at the dealership and 3 problems stood out:

1.Three quarters of the Alcantera headliner is sagging and seperating. They said "we have a local guy who's going to fix this for $600". That scares me because a. Will it last? b.Will it look good as new? My gut is to insist on OEM replacement and installed by Porsche - I'm assuming their work would be warrantied? Also, with this low of mileage - why is it seperating in the first place?

2.The repaired (wonk, wonk) some leather wear on the drivers and passengers seat. "They" did it in house at their dealership. HORRIBLE - the color doesn't match, it's hard as a rock and shiny as if Armour All lives there.

I told them I would only be happy with OEM replacement of the leather panels that were repaired/botched and OEM replacement installation of the headliner. Parts through the Porsche dealer (just parts) $3100. Where is the CHEAPEST and most reliable parts center online so I can this as low as possible?

Is repair safe? Should I agree to this or just steer them to do the fix. Also, they're asking $6K above KBB, Edmunds, NADA (averaged) price - $44,700. I'm showing $38K on cars with some reconditioning required. $44 comes from CPO - which this is not. (I plan on buying Fidelity which I was told was 'just as good' as CPO - not sure if that's true).

Other than these problems, the door handle looks like Freddy Kruegar owned it and the miscellaneous rock chips and scrape marks from peoples feet getting in. Outside of this - I would have to admit the car is mint and near showroom - which makes these issues really stand out.

Would love some advice on this. Thank you very much.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:25 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 256 Posts

As a shopper who just pulled the trigger on an '06 CTT, I would note for you there are a lot of them to choose from. Why not get one with less issues? I picked an example that had been babied by an owner that really likes Porsches and has several.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:38 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by SUPO
Other than these problems, the door handle looks like Freddy Kruegar owned it and the miscellaneous rock chips and scrape marks from peoples feet getting in. Outside of this - I would have to admit the car is mint and near showroom - which makes these issues really stand out.
hehe, someone with nails owned that car before. Check the condition of the back seats very closely (they probably had children in and out of that car, frequently), I made the mistake of not inspecting my 08 CS and found tears and cheap patchwork after taking it home. Luckily the dealer agreed to fix everything, but it is a CPO too.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Loutorious
Track Day

Leather seat wear on a 10,000 miles car? It seems a little suspicious or the previous owner was very rough. Headliner coming undone? Not unheard of in a 5 - 6 year old car but is not a good sign, could be related to leaks from sunroof. Extremely low milage car always make me a little nervous unless I know the history. It may be possible it spend most of its time out of service with tons of problems. It could also be a real low milage gem. I would at least get a Porsche dealer PPI if no service history is available; it could be the best $250 you will spend. for about 50k you can probably find a nice 2006 CTTS under 40,000 miles. There are 1 owner 2005 CTT under 40,000 miles out there selling for less than $35,000. For near $45,000 I would only consider a 2005 CTT CPO. The milage maybe a little higher but CPO is way better than Fidelity, which I heard is a very shady warranty company. I've never purchased Fidelity warranty myself so is just hearsay.

Good Luck
Old 08-22-2010, 10:53 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

They may have carried dogs with them if the leather is damaged and headliner falling..... Fifi can be hard on an interior
Old 08-22-2010, 01:58 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Could be water damage. I do like that it has only 10K miles, but no CPO, stay away.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Loutorious
Leather seat wear on a 10,000 miles car? It seems a little suspicious or the previous owner was very rough. Headliner coming undone? Not unheard of in a 5 - 6 year old car but is not a good sign, could be related to leaks from sunroof. Extremely low milage car always make me a little nervous unless I know the history. It may be possible it spend most of its time out of service with tons of problems. It could also be a real low milage gem. I would at least get a Porsche dealer PPI if no service history is available; it could be the best $250 you will spend. for about 50k you can probably find a nice 2006 CTTS under 40,000 miles. There are 1 owner 2005 CTT under 40,000 miles out there selling for less than $35,000. For near $45,000 I would only consider a 2005 CTT CPO. The milage maybe a little higher but CPO is way better than Fidelity, which I heard is a very shady warranty company. I've never purchased Fidelity warranty myself so is just hearsay.

Good Luck
I agree with this. I just purchased a 2005 Cayenne with 58000 miles on it and the interior and exterior of the car are in exceptional shape. No signs of wear on the leather at all. In fact, it looks like new.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Forget the aftermarket warranties. They don't cover the common faults like coils, coolant tubes and starters that are damaged by leaking coolant tubes.

Self insure or CPO are the best options.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:09 AM
mtrlmngr
Cruisin'

Amen on that - I just bought a 2005 Cayenne S with an aftermarket warranty and 3 weeks later had to replace the cooling hoses and guess whats not covered. Stick with CPO.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
heypete
Advanced

I bought an '06 CT with 45,000 miles plus CPO in very good shape. I'd be weary about an 05 with only 10,000 miles yet rock chips etc. If people have a CT as a weekend driver only, which would have to be the case with only 10,000 miles after 5 years, they'd be damn sure not to let their dogs into the car. Don't buy!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CPO without a doubt. I had to replace the drive shaft (Cardan Shaft) at 93K miles while on vacation. Porsche 24 Hour Roadside Assistance and tow to dealership in Falmouth, ME, = No Worries. I posted my experience in another post found here https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-problems.html
Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 PM
DINOROCZ
Instructor

cpo for sure, I own several repair shops and each time a customer asks me if I deal with warranty companies I say yes, who am I to turn down business. So, its starts with a phone call, and of course the customer is under the impression everything is covered, but somehow the sneaky warranty companies always end up paying little or nothing.

STAY AWAY FROM AFTERMARKET WARRANTY COMPANIES

also I am not a fan of the 10k on a 5 year old car. If you intend on driving it as a daily or so, I would bet that as soon as it gets used you will see a ton of stuff go bad.... things get dry, cracked, rusty, broken, old, lack of use on a car really does wear down many items and I see this firsthand in my shops.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPO
Where is the CHEAPEST and most reliable parts center online so I can this as low as possible?
I would suggest Sunset Imports or Suncoast Porsche

https://sunset.porschedealer.com/parts/parts_order.php

https://secure.webmakerx.net/Parts-O...hesarasota.com

You could also try some of the Porsche parts dismantlers as well
Old 08-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would first make sure the car your looking at has all the updates, coolant tubes replaced, coils and plugs, cardon shaft if it has at least 50k and no seepage from anywhere. To make the CPO work to your benefit something has to malfunction......so make sure these things are done first before you even negotiate on the car or deduct from price.

Since CPO is of main concern, I would also make sure you find a reputable dealer who is not only willing to give you mental consultation but fix the car as well. I would read the CPO terms carefully

A 10k mile Cayenne that is 5 years old I would not worry about in terms of wear and tear on motor and drivetrain honestly. If it was 20 years old I would be somewhat nervous, IMO depends on who owned the car and how it's been serviced.

Lastly, if I went with a CPO, go for an 06. A lot of them hung around dealer lots for a while so the CPO will be more long term.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this Cayenne from dealer???