Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer: $1,200 service after 1 month/4,200 miles ownership on a "Certified Porsche"

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer: $1,200 service after 1 month/4,200 miles ownership on a "Certified Porsche"

Bought my 08 Porsche certified CS on July 10th, 2010 and it had 30,500 miles on it. Went on a trip to Chicago/Midwest and put 4,200 miles on my car in a month.

Brought my car back in today to get window tint installed and a few warranty items.

Service Advisor calls and says the following to me.

1. Porsche did a weird thing for 2008 and changed the maintenance schedule to every 6,000 miles for Cayennes. This was only for 2008, they changed it back to 10K for 2009.

2. You're going to a need a oil change, spark plug change, and your car will also need the "Full 36K mile" checkup. $1,200

I told him no, I'll stick to the 10K service intervals. I understand that there are additional costs with P!g ownership, but never did I imagine that the only dealer in the Phoenix metro area try to f--k me. Makes me want to drive 100 miles to the Tucson dealer to get service work done or sell it.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask them to show you the service checklist.

Or become a contributing member at Loren's site and download it for yourself, then you'll know.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a good mechanic and forget about the dealer.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

++1
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc

Or become a contributing member at Loren's site and download it for yourself, then you'll know.
ltc, I found this:

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default

Looks like I can go every 12K or 1 year for oil changes.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask for the 30k service record.

At 34,700, you still have over a thousand miles left.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Who is Loren?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

And the 06's were 20k between oil changes and 60K for the spark plugs.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oil replacement frequency is a personal thing and varies from person to person; mostly depending on whether the vehicle is leased or purchased. Obviously, when you buy your truck and decide to keep it as long as you can, you want it too last; hence the shorter oil change intervals. When it's a lease, the less you spend on maintenance the better.

I would have liked to follow Porsche's recommended maintenance interval however, IMHO, I find the lapse too large for this type of engine and service. Too much is dependant on the quality of the motor oil.

As far as spark plug replacement goes, way too early to even talk about that now!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

My P!G gets oil every 5k. First year I might have gone close to 10k, being of the same opinion as OP, thinking that I must really stick to what Porsche suggests, but I changed my mind pretty quickly.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Find a good mechanic and forget about the dealer.
+100

only go back to the stealer for warranty disservice
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Spoke with my salesman yesterday, he didn't agree with the 36K mile service or 6,000 mile oil changes. He told me that he'd get me the service interval schedule and find me a different service adviser next time.

Enigma, what made you decide on 5K for oil changes?

Last edited by 00Jay; 08-10-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM
DINOROCZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Oil replacement frequency is a personal thing and varies from person to person; mostly depending on whether the vehicle is leased or purchased. Obviously, when you buy your truck and decide to keep it as long as you can, you want it too last; hence the shorter oil change intervals. When it's a lease, the less you spend on maintenance the better.

I would have liked to follow Porsche's recommended maintenance interval however, IMHO, I find the lapse too large for this type of engine and service. Too much is dependant on the quality of the motor oil.

As far as spark plug replacement goes, way too early to even talk about that now!
^^^ this is the best advice so far. OP, if you own the car, Mobil 1 every 5k and dont go to the dealer for anything other than warranty. If you arent ok with doing the oil changes every 5k due to cost then you really should sell the car. Doing oil changes frequently is the best and cheapest way to keep the vehicle running right
Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Jay, DINO just answered it for me (and you)
Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy E.

Originally Posted by DINOROCZ
^^^ this is the best advice so far. OP, if you own the car, Mobil 1 every 5k and dont go to the dealer for anything other than warranty. If you arent ok with doing the oil changes every 5k due to cost then you really should sell the car. Doing oil changes frequently is the best and cheapest way to keep the vehicle running right
Advice heeded.

For me, it's not about having the $ to maintenance the car. I just don't like having the service technician lie to me about what has to be done and how often. They told that there was a 36K maintenance due. This is a lie. They also lied about Porsche requiring oil changes every 6K miles.

FYI: I hateyeldogt's post about 06's oil service interval being every 20K is correct according to the link I posted: http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default

I plan on keeping my car for 3 years or so, depending on what I think of the new Cayenne at that time. I'm just not sure I have a lot of interest in going above and beyond what Porsche requires for maintenance.

Quick Reply: Dealer: $1,200 service after 1 month/4,200 miles ownership on a "Certified Porsche"