Sponsored by:

power steering drag

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
jr1966
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering drag

Hello. I have an '05 Cayenne Turbo. The steering feels normal when the vehicle is moving. However, when at a standstill and the steering wheel is turned, there is some sort of drag similar to a hydraulic system running out of fluid. The power steering fluid is well topped up. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 06 **** ed and it does the same thing in the morning.Of course dealer says its normal.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the same -- its not real smooth at idle.

Cars without a lot of assist boost often have this problem -- the variable system solves this. I don't like most of the variable systems -- including the P cars that have it.

The desire to develop systems that require/use the least amount of HP contribute to this.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this a new condition that you've started noticing or was it like this since you owned the vehicle?

A common problem to look out for is the fluid strainer. I don't know where this unit resides within the Cayenne's power steering system, however in most vehicles it resembles a mesh screen that is either separate or molded into the bottom of the fluid reservoir.

The strainer gets partially blocked with sediment, pump pressure rises at this point, aerated fluid causes cavitation and the system starves oil on the return side. The end result is pump noise and difficulty in turning the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: power steering drag