Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 V6 versus 2004-2006 V8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the brand new 2011 Cayenne V6? Finally 300 BHP on a slightly lighter platform! But I know I would still be wanting for a more powerful V8...
Old 07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
My understanding is that post-2008 peppers have substantially improved over pre-2008 models in overall reliability (based on customer satisfaction polls and dealer feedback).

Turbo technology has come a long way since the '80's when your 951 was engineered. I doubt that turbo replacement frequency would be as high as that of the 951. On my 931, it all depended on how long you allowed it to idle after a long highway drive.

As far as all the other modules, sensors, servos, actuators, etc... no worse off than an X5 or an ML. Core suppliers to all three big German automakers are the same (Bosch, Siemens, Valmet, etc...).

Drive both and choose for yourself. If towing your 951 and hauling around the kids is all you need it for, it could very well be that a Cayenne 'S' is all you really need.
Originally Posted by BSL
This is only true until you have driven one--then you do need the extra ponies!

To the original poster, as has been stated the new v6 is much better than the old, but no, not as good as the old v8. That said, I prefer the updates to the '08 over the '06. If having to choose between an '06 S and '08 V6, it would probably be a tough one for me. Price difference between the '08 S and v6 shouldn't be too large at this point.
Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take no offence to what I'm about to say to you but with a statement like that, you bought your GTS for all the wrong reasons.

The GTS is not 2nd-in-line down from the Turbo simply because of price and horsepower. It's a different truck altogether. It's a bad-boy vehicle and it's made to sound like one. The blacked-out look, 21" rims, lowered suspension, throaty exhaust note.....it's a muscle-truck pure and simple. The Turbo has more luxurious appointments, is more refined and made to play the part of it.

Two completely different trucks for different buyers.
Probably true, it really is just a tow vehicle to me (albeit a very good one). Having said that I am not quite sure why you would consider the GTS the "bad boy", "muscle truck" when it is slower in almost every respect than the Turbo.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
....I am not quite sure why you would consider the GTS the "bad boy", "muscle truck" when it is slower in almost every respect than the Turbo.

I would fully agree with this. Especially when the Turbo on average is not any more luxurious than a GTS. Is there a luxury feature that you can get on a Turbo that you can't on a GTS? (leather dash might be it?)

There are several 700HPi+ish Turbos running around.....Those are "bad boy muscle trucks".

My understanding is that the 6 speed manual also won't put up with the abuse a Turbo can throw at it. (just rumors really)
Old 07-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Having said that I am not quite sure why you would consider the GTS the "bad boy", "muscle truck" when it is slower in almost every respect than the Turbo.
Originally Posted by Cole
I would fully agree with this. Especially when the Turbo on average is not any more luxurious than a GTS. Is there a luxury feature that you can get on a Turbo that you can't on a GTS? (leather dash might be it?)
There are several 700HPi+ish Turbos running around.....Those are "bad boy muscle trucks".
I guess it all comes down to what one perceives a "muscle truck" to be. Speed alone, IMHO, is not necessarily a key factor when defining a "muscle car or truck". My old 1971 Pontiac TransAm with the 455 HO motor was a "muscle car". My friend's '71 Cuda with a 426 Hemi was a "muscle car".

My understanding was always that a "muscle" vehicle is far from anything refined. It's loud, looks muscular, lowered to the ground, a bit rough around the edges and gets noticed fast.

I have a hard time trying to picture the Turbo in it's stock form as being a "muscle truck". No offence to those that drive them but most of the Turbos I see on Montreal roads are driven by women. I've yet to find a woman who drives a GTS as I suspect it has to do something with that 'bad boy' image that it so respectfully projects.

BTW, satin chrome exterior body trim and wood grain interior dash trim is NOT available on the GTS as it is on the more refined Turbo.

Once again, the GTS is not a better truck than the Turbo. It's just different and destined for a different buyer.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Cole
Drifting

The original "muscle cars" were simply a "big car engine" in a "small car". That was the only part of the original formula.

Take the engien that would normally go in a big station wagon or truck and put it in the Trans Am, Camaro, etc. Power to weight was the ONLY defining quality.

Many original "Muscle Cars" did have all of the luxury appointments available in the day. Those just seem very basic to us now. (power windows, power brakes, A/C were all options on many of those original cars).

According to the June 1967 issue of Road Test magazine, a "muscle car" is "Exactly what the name implies. It is a product of the American car industry adhering to the hot rodder's philosophy of taking a small car and putting a BIG engine in it
Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Cole
Drifting

I certainly think that any of the 400HP+ range modern MIDSIZE SUV would fall into this category a bit. Only since the "Average" midsize SUV hovers around the 260-360HP mark.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
jittsl
Racer

Andy,
So now I am interested. When you bought your GTS did you consider it up against the Turbo and make a descision that for your purposes the GTS was a better car? Or, like me, did you decide it offered a better value proposition?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Is a midsize SUV with a V10 twin turbo and 553 lb/ft of torque considered a muscle truck?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
Is a midsize SUV with a V10 twin turbo and 553 lb/ft of torque considered a muscle truck?
Please show us!! Where..where?

Andy,
So now I am interested. When you bought your GTS did you consider it up against the Turbo and make a descision that for your purposes the GTS was a better car? Or, like me, did you decide it offered a better value proposition?
When the Cayenne was first launched years back, I wanted to vomit in my mouth from how ugly it looked. Sub-miniature wheels, raised suspension, droopy headlights, etc...

I had just purchased a new ML320 as a family truck but wanted the X5 due to the advanced styling it had at the time. Unfortunately, as a long term purchase the X5 made no sense due to the extremely high cost of ownership BMW so graciously offers with their cars as a no-cost option. I had, at one point, even considered pulling the trigger on some American muscle (Oops, can I use that word here?); a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

In 2007 when PAG introduced the GTS as an '08 model, I was floored! Here was an SUV that represented everything I wanted in a truck and, it was a Porsche too!

What did it for me? The lowered suspension, the absence of that tacky satin chrome exterior trim, the huge 21" rims, the aerokit, the wheel arch extensions, the huge bi-plane rear spoiler and that all blacked-out look. Oh, did I also mention the exhaust note? I'm sure you all remember the Porsche GTS commercial that everyone was talking about at the time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badA0ntOxsE

Laurie, in answer to your question, No. The turbo was never even considered as a purchase. It just didn't sparkle anything inside me to want to own one. Yes, admittedly maybe one small detail being the gobs of refined pure power that it so graciously displayed during an initial test drive back in 2003! Gawd, can that truck pull or what? But where are you going to use 450+ HP on our speed-controlled roads?

I own two Porsches and for all the wrong reasons. I'm a V-8 guy who's still stuck in the '70's. If you were to give me a 911, chances are extremely high that I would sell it not long after. It just doesn't "do it" for me.

Now, a shortened 2-door humpless V-8 powered Panamera 928-derivative? Bring it on sweetheart!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Van1
Drifting

Please show us!! Where..where?

Here are some pics from a BMW DE I did in my Treg TDI 2 years ago. My clutch had just gone out in my 993 a week prior with no time to fix before the event. They were allowing BMW and Porsche SUVs to participate and I made the argument that the Treg was the same as a Cayenne. My wife would not allow me to use her R32 so all I had left was the Treg. I was placed in the advanced group even though said SUVs were to only be placed in the novice group. I was not the slowest car in the group. In fact, when it rained I was passing E46 M3s. I really chewed up my front Goodyear Fortura Tripletreds and brake pads but it was worth it.
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Cole
Drifting

Cool. Have you done Cayenne sway bars or any of the other mods to make it handle closer to a Cayenne?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Van1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cole
Cool. Have you done Cayenne sway bars or any of the other mods to make it handle closer to a Cayenne?
No, I haven't. CTT sway bars and high performance summer tires would have been nice to have that weekend. A lowering module for the air suspension would be nice too.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wonder what is different in the t-case to make the power split different?

I'm sure you could get a tour-egg pretty close to a Cayenne with some tweaks.

I've driven and pushed both and am amazed at the differences.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM
jittsl
Racer

Andy,

To each his own. Have fun.

Just for the record I drove an 04 S for several years before replacing it recently with the GTS. My reason for the GTS was that it seemed the most cost effective package that did all I wanted at an affordable price. I love the air suspension, the sport seats and the grip and feel of the 21's but to be honest I don't notice any difference in the exhaust note from inside the cabin and it did not register with me that the window frames were black instead of silver. I guess we all have different priorities and thats what makes the world a wonderful place.

Quick Reply: 2008 V6 versus 2004-2006 V8?