Sponsored by:

Porsche Approved Oils list

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche Approved Oils list

Anyone have a later version of the Porsche Approved Oils bulletin? The latest one I have is 37/08 dated March 10, 2009 and about 1/2 the oils in it are already beyond the expiration date of approval.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

Did you get that one on renntech.org? I haven't checked to see if they've posted a new one lately.

Are you not happy with Mobil 1? I'm just curious - my dealer switched from Mobil 1 to Valvoline synthetic.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Hey Dennis, the last time I looked at the one on Renntech it was several versions older than the one I had, I even submitted my version but they never posted it.

The reason I asked is my dealer switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 and I was looking to make sure it was on the list. It is but it's one of the many that are "expired" date wise.

I normally change my own oil in my vehicles but since the Pepper is getting close to the end of the CPO warranty and it was going to need the service light reset soon I decided to let the dealer do an oil change, flush the brake fluid and balance/rotate the tires and put it on their PIWIS (?) system to see if anything popped up. I was hoping they would find signs of coolant tubes leaking and get that done now too but no such luck.

Here's the oil they're using Pennzoil Platinum

It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of oil but as long as it's on the approved list that's my big concern.

FYI, parts & labor charges:
oil & filter - $183
brake flush - $134
Balance & rotate tires - $40

All in all very reasonable in my opinion and the tech that works on my vehicle is top notch.

The only ouch is the environmental waste fee of $25.42 (mostly for the brake fluid). The nice thing is when I talked to the SA about where they dispose of brake fluid and that I had about 3 gal. of the stuff to get rid of he said to drop it off with him and he would take care of it for me.

So, I like my dealer it's just that I like working on my cars myself too. It's a nice problem to have, many aren't so lucky.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

As long as the viscosity of the oil is correct Pennzoil Platinum is a great synthetic oil.

Bill could you email me the latest approved list? mdrumsdw@gmail.com thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I'll put it here for everyone.

Edit: Sorry, removed at RennTech request. I will look for another copy that didn't come from RT.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 07-12-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I'll put it here for everyone.
Please do not post TSBs taken directly from RennTech.org here. That is in violation of both the Porsche copyright and the RennTech.org Guidelines/Rules that you agreed to when you registered at RennTech.org.

Thanks - Loren
Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Loren
Please do not post TSBs taken directly from RennTech.org here. That is in violation of both the Porsche copyright and the RennTech.org Guidelines/Rules that you agreed to when you registered at RennTech.org.

Thanks - Loren
Loren, I did not get that from Renntech. If you'll read what I wrote you'll see I had a much newer version of the Bulletin than they had at Renntech. I got it elsewhere. And by the way, the TSB has already been posted in other forums here on RL.

Hey Dennis, the last time I looked at the one on Renntech it was several versions older than the one I had, I even submitted my version but they never posted it.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Loren
Drifting

That is the current version on RennTech.org
That TSB has a hidden RennTech.org tag (as well it can be opened with the special password we use) - so wherever you got it from it came from RennTech.org originally.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

Bill,

It seems like your dealer's charges are in line with my dealer's charges.

I like working on my own cars too, but I must admit, I let the dealer change the oil on the Cayenne. I tend to to it on the 911 myself.

My Cayenne has been at the body shop for the last week and a half getting the hail damage repaired. I hope to have it back this week.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Loren
That is the current version on RennTech.org
That TSB has a hidden RennTech.org tag (as well it can be opened with the special password we use) - so wherever you got it from it came from RennTech.org originally.
Then I will remove this copy and look for a version that didn't come (directly or indirectly) from RennTech.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mobil 1 0w-40 still good?

I use on the 911 and my VW.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Loren
Drifting

Then I will remove this copy and look for a version that didn't come (directly or indirectly) from RennTech.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Porsche Approved Oils list