Sponsored by:

New 2011 Cayenne First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Of course it can be. Anything to rattle the oh, so fragile minds of the certain P!Gpen inhabitants

Its been ages since I have been on here. However, I must agree with you Enigma, the new Cayenne is pretty weak in my opinion. I found the new turbo variant to be very disappointing and a bit of a downgrade in some regards. If I was picking between a Cayenne and the Panamera, its the Pan all the way, even with its big ***.

Beyond that, I must have missed something. LTC, suggesting ownership of a Porsche! Apparently there have been some big changes, will have to take a look back.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The new GTS has my attention... which makes it a wait and see proppsition for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
Its been ages since I have been on here. However, I must agree with you Enigma, the new Cayenne is pretty weak in my opinion. I found the new turbo variant to be very disappointing and a bit of a downgrade in some regards. If I was picking between a Cayenne and the Panamera, its the Pan all the way, even with its big ***.

Beyond that, I must have missed something. LTC, suggesting ownership of a Porsche! Apparently there have been some big changes, will have to take a look back.
Welcome back

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I was not recommending Porsche ownership for myself...I will never cast a shadow in a Porsche showroom again...out of respect for Larry and out of general spite for Dr. W and/or PCNA legal.
That does not mean I won't buy proper Porsches from the 'old days'....
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yetis

I have to ask: Did you guys test drive the same Cayenne S and CTT that I did?

The new one is 400 lbs lighter with much more HP...It's more than a full second faster 0-60....Plus the 8 speed transmission makes it so torquey compared to the old one it's hard to believe... To me, it's a sub 6 second car that is almost 911 like....Just ridiculous for an SUV of this size...

If you like the past model, I don't see how you can not be blown away by what they did with this from a performance point of view....
Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
...If you like the past model....
Name ten people in the Pen that like the past Cayenen models.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes...

I can't add anything else to what I've already said, because I know you're very excited about it and really love it.

I did see a black 2011 CTT at Americana Manhasset today. Still very indifferent. Maybe time will prove us (Mr. EnigmaWmn is of the same opinion) wrong.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Name ten people in the Pen that like the past Cayenen models.
LOL...
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Yes...

I can't add anything else to what I've already said, because I know you're very excited about it and really love it.

I did see a black 2011 CTT at Americana Manhasset today. Still very indifferent. Maybe time will prove us (Mr. EnigmaWmn is of the same opinion) wrong.
I wasn't sold at first, but after an hour test drive (part as driver, part as passenger) I was totally hooked...
Old 07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Well, I did test drive them both, thought I doubt they are the exact same two. :-)
I drove the Panamera 4S and the Cayenne Turbo and between the two, the Panamera won hands down, even without the turbo. My original current Turbo isn't down on power or slow, that was never a complaint from me. Even with it being a second slower, I always marveled at the fact that an SUV could do what it did (does). My complaint was more about the overall design, some downgrades in the interior, etc... I would also note that I disagree on the transmission. On both cars, I was surprised at how reminiscent it was to the old one, despite the apparent upgrade.

In full disclosure, my Panamera test drive was an odd one. It was almost 40 min long. I think the guy was bored. Maybe if I spent that amount of time with the CTT (as you did apparently), I would like it some more. Who knows. All I know is that I want another 911 and living in NYC sucks, when you want two nice cars. (There, I said it)
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM
APXD 30
Advanced

We have an '08 3.6 and took the '11 S out for a drive Friday. As expected, the Cayenne is superb. The 8 speed is extremely smooth and the interior is finally respectable. From the rear, the Cayenne seems to be moving towards the Infiniti FX.

I wondered how Porsche reduced weight by 10% and now suspect that the Cayenne is on a stretched Tiguan/Q5 chassis. My suspicions include the dash, rear seat, and weight.

I’ve received the pre and post-launch info. In the second round Porsche released EPA for non-hybrid models but has yet, to my knowledge, to release tow specs. The salesman did not have this readily available.

Has anyone towed a car trailer with a 2011 yet or know if the rating remains at 7,700 pounds? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:21 AM
stealthn
Advanced

We had an unveiling here too with a lot of hoopla, (no nice red dressed hotties though) and Porsche did a nice job oif it. My impressions are I liked the slightly larger foot print as the back seat had more space. I think the cockpit is trying too hard, way too many buttons, and gadgets. As for the rear end, yes looks like everything else out of Japan, my wife said it looks like a big golf, and that script; are you kidding me?
I had to ask if model delete was still an option...what were they thinkng.

Another thing I noticed is that there is no slot/prebuild for a roof rack, none. I asked the sales dude and you have to pre-order this at the factory WTF?

And Bill the back seats do fold down flat just not in the turbo, I don't know if it's a sport seat thing, but I did fold down the base S and turbo, and the turbo were the only ones on an incline.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:52 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
The new GTS has my attention... which makes it a wait and see proppsition for me.
Is there any news out on a new GTS? Curious if there are any pics, details, etc.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthn
We had an unveiling here too with a lot of hoopla, (no nice red dressed hotties though) and Porsche did a nice job oif it. My impressions are I liked the slightly larger foot print as the back seat had more space. I think the cockpit is trying too hard, way too many buttons, and gadgets. As for the rear end, yes looks like everything else out of Japan, my wife said it looks like a big golf, and that script; are you kidding me?
I had to ask if model delete was still an option...what were they thinkng.

Another thing I noticed is that there is no slot/prebuild for a roof rack, none. I asked the sales dude and you have to pre-order this at the factory WTF?

And Bill the back seats do fold down flat just not in the turbo, I don't know if it's a sport seat thing, but I did fold down the base S and turbo, and the turbo were the only ones on an incline.
That's weird. I know the one for the premier at our dealer was a Turbo so I certainly wouldn't contradict your statement.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Towing capacity

no and yes

download this for lots of info
http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...ault&version=1

Originally Posted by APXD 30
Has anyone towed a car trailer with a 2011 yet or know if the rating remains at 7,700 pounds? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cayenne with manual: 5952lbs/617lbs (trailer/tongue)

Cayenne (yes, even the Hybrid) with Tiptronic: 7716lbs/617lbs (trailer/tongue).

Sadly, no mention of the diesel....for that was left for Audi and VW...

Quick Reply: New 2011 Cayenne First Impression