Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010 | 01:20 PM
joshmoney
AutoX

Default A/C compressor question

The a/c compressor in my 04 s takes about 45 seconds to around a minute and a half before it kicks on, so I get hot air blown in my face when I start the car. Is there a relay going out or something? What can I do to diagnose it? It sucks because it's like 100 degrees outside and no telling how hot in the car when I get in.
Old 06-12-2010 | 07:50 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

joshmoney,

When was the last time that you had your A/C system serviced?? Could be just a low charge... also remember if its that hot outside the inside of the car can heatsoak and all the vent might be hot until the cold a/c air cools them down... I live in Arizona and I know the feeling of hot car insides....I leave the back windows cracked and sunroof in vent. Also if you change the air intake to "fresh air/ outside air" it will help cool the vents down for the first bit and then switch it to "recirulate"....

Carl
Old 06-13-2010 | 11:57 AM
joshmoney
AutoX

I'm pretty sure it's the compressor not coming on at first because I can hear it kick in when it starts blowing cold air. otherwise it's like a hair dryer blowing in my face. I recharged the system last year. also, it does the same thing right after I turn the car off for a few minutes. Like getting gas or something. just air until the compressor kicks in
Old 06-14-2010 | 12:24 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

The compressor is constantly driven so there is no ON/OFF noise from it the only thing that happens is that the swash plate gets powered and adjusted to position to create the flow of refridgerant. If the a/c comp "locks up" it breaks the rubber hub and does NOT turn anymore. An A/C system "should" be serviced every year due to small leaks and/or damage to system. Have the pressures checked and faults check in the HVAC Control Module to set if something lost a motor to a blend door or other issues. That's the stuff I would check and then go from there....
Good luck

Carl
Old 06-15-2010 | 09:19 PM
joshmoney
AutoX

ah. I see. Anyone have what the pressures should be in the ac system? I've got gauges, but I don't know what is spec
Old 06-16-2010 | 08:45 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

35-40 on the LOW side and about 150-200 HIGH side with the engine running A/C on MAX.... NOT AUTO!!!!

Quick Reply: A/C compressor question