ATF fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ATF fluid leak

Oh Snap!
I worked on my CS today. I changed the oil and the water pump. The water pump was not as hard as I thought.

When I got under the car, I noticed a small reddish oil leak coming from under the car. I removed the underbody panels and found the source of the leak. It is coming from a hole in the bell housing.

The hole that the fluid is coming out has a thread on it. I was wondering if a screw is supposed to go there?

I replaced the coolant tubes last month. I've read that the torque converter pump seal goes out after the tube failure. I guess I need to replace the torque converter pump seal.
My question is....

Is it a DYI job? I have the tools and the mad mech skills to do it.
If its not a DYI, how much am I looking at an indy or the dealership?

Jose
Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well mine does the samething....There are a couple of special tools you need to hold the trans and remove something else( SO i have been told at least).... but its doesnt look too bad to do... Mine has been leak for the past 25k miles and I check it and top it off every oil change. The MOST it has needed to be topped off is 1 Liter... A factory Porsche tech co-worked said that when the seal goes out it REALLY dumps all the fluid out of the pump and part of the converter..... Just check the fluid level and keep an eye on it if it gets an worse...
When i try my to do mine i will let you know...

Carl
Old 05-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Carl.

So, yours is leaking from the same hole? Does it have a thread or a bolt? The leak is persistant. I'll clean it off and I'll come back a couple of hours. The leak looks the same and drops to the floor. I have enough I think to get it to my indy shop on Wed. I got an estimate of $1300
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

Jose,

Yeah mine is leaking out of the same place but it not a super fast drip... it just stays wet because of all the fluid still in the bell housing. Check your trans fluid level and see how much you need to top it off. That will tell you how fast the leak is. ... Let me know what probs you have when you do it..

Carl
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

The only real factory tool you need is the tool to remove the torque converter bolts. There are six 10mm 12 point screws that hold the torque converter to the engine drive plate. The access hole to get to the screws is quite ridiculous and the factory tool makes it about as painless as possible. The tool is basically a half moon ratcheting wrench that holds a magnetic bit. The job is a PITA and I would put it off for as long as you can.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:36 AM
CDH-CTT
Racer

PTEC,

Hahahahaha I knew that there had to be some fun tool that is needed to make life easier!!!! I just keep on top of it buy checking it everytime I change the engine oil....

Carl

Quick Reply: ATF fluid leak