Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 vs 2011 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
johnag007
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea about trailers but I know you can order the transfer case an an option on most models except the hybrid and the diesel I think.
As for deltas and so forth, depreciation will be steep on any of them, the question is whether you could buy the old model with a 15% discount AT LEAST to make it worthwhile. If not, it is not a question of price but of a much better car as well, much better economy which might go some way to repaying the delta in the 1st place.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MERK
Been a while since I researched this but....there is no way you should have a trailer tongue weight of 1000lbs. If you can't shift the load on the trailer then you definitely need a weight distribution hitch which effectively does the same thing. You can get the tongue weight to under the 770 lbs rating.
AFAIK and IIRC, PAG does not recommend the use of a weight distributing hitch on PASM equipped P!gs.

As for trailer lighting ...
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blathering1
Interesting points on the tongue weight. Curious-- what do you tow your searay with?

With PASM-- is there a recommended level to use while towing?
I tow it with a 2005 Excursion diesel. You'd hardly know the boat is there.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I tow it with a 2005 Excursion diesel. You'd hardly know the boat is there.
Excellent choice.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:41 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Per the configurator, the pdf brochure, and all the marketing verbiage I have not seen reference to a low-range transfer case being an option. Only the locking-rear differential. The descriptions for off-roading refer to various phases of locking differentials, but I did not see reference to an optional "Reduction" (i.e., low-range). Would love to be wrong, so please let us know if you have other information - or I missed something.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2058658...7624134675338/
Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Excellent choice.
As I have posted here since 2005 ... it's magnificent. After 87K miles, it has never once failed me. From literally pulling six foot diameter tree stumps out of the ground to towing a boat over sand dunes, winching Suburbans up vertical hillsides, towing a triple axle TPD race car hauler weighing in over 12K pounds and 1500lb on the tongue (measured) as well as snow tires and four chains slogging through standing snow drifts up to the windows ... and most importantly of all, the pure physics "applied" example of my wife and daughter emerging unscathed when it hit a pole (sliding on ice) ... "a body in motion will tend to remain in motion unless otherwise acted upon" ... and if that body happens to weigh 8000lbs, then it just plain tends to stay in motion! : ) Just magnificent. The old X-E really earned his paycheck that day.

And if you count "miles per gallon per person" it spends most of its time with four passengers or six passengers (grandparents or soccer team or kids party) plus two or three dogs, which makes it a multiple of the efficiency of our Prius with just two passengers.

Last week, the Excursion developed the inevitable coke problem -- diesel soot accumulates in the turbo and EGR plumbing, especially when the engine is run shorter distances and with less load to generate cylinder temperatures to burn off the coke. $100 total cost to me, covered under emissions warranty at the dealer. They're going through the whole intake and exhaust of the engine on their dime (presumably coming out of some emissions warranty cost cover.) They've had the car for two days, replacing old parts with new as they worked through the intake problem -- everything went exactly as they expected and I'm sure they've done a hundred with the same problem ... no excuses, the engine is not designed to handle the emissions systems and exhaust gas re-burning -- and I've had better 1:1 involvement with the tech and the service manager than I expect from Porsche on a GT3 or RS. If only Ford had a clue and could replicate this level of sincere commitment to excellent service. When you build great products, your employees know it and they care because they respect the product. Still, I'll eventually update to the 2011 F250. I've driven it and it's a significant leap forward. But I'll wait until they build a few hundred thousand and iron out the wrinkles. : )

Quick Reply: 2010 vs 2011 Cayenne