Sponsored by:

CTT new owner: Strange gurgling after shut down

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
tundraphile
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTT new owner: Strange gurgling after shut down

We recently bought our first Porsche, an '04 Cayenne Turbo with 46,000 miles. This is my first turbo car ever, and something I noticed was that after turning the engine off, for a few seconds there is an odd gurgling sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. This occurs if the car has been driven a long distance or even just pulling out of the garage.

It sounds like pressure bleeding off...of something. There is no CEL, and the A/C works perfectly.

These cars seem to have their quirks, I was just wondering if this is normal and what it is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

air suspension leveling?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tundraphile
We recently bought our first Porsche, an '04 Cayenne Turbo with 46,000 miles. This is my first turbo car ever, and something I noticed was that after turning the engine off, for a few seconds there is an odd gurgling sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. This occurs if the car has been driven a long distance or even just pulling out of the garage.

It sounds like pressure bleeding off...of something. There is no CEL, and the A/C works perfectly.

These cars seem to have their quirks, I was just wondering if this is normal and what it is?

Thanks in advance.
Pop the hood and look at the coolant over flow tank (don't remove the cap!) on the passenger side, coming from there?

Don't know if the turbo's have a post coolant pump to pass coolant past the turbos to extend the life after the car is shut off for proper cool down.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 AM
tundraphile
AutoX

Upon further investigation it appears it is related to the climate control system. With the A/C on and the fan blowing it is audible. After you turn off the blower or shut the car off for a few seconds it seems the system makes thi strange sound
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This sounds more like liquid refrigerant passing thru the air conditioning's metering device (expansion valve,etc...) on shut down while the system pressures are equalizing.

Drive the last mile with the A/C OFF or "Econ" button energized and listen for the sound after shutdown. It should be gone.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
tundraphile
AutoX

I tried that tonight and it certainly seems to be exactly what you said. Now the question is this: is this normal or fortelling of impending doom of the A/C?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a normal sound, only maybe a tad louder than with most other vehicles. Not to worry.

One particular sound that seems to bother me in my GTS is the vibration of the stereo's Bass on both the pedals and firewall at low volume. It almost seems as if the firewall or bulkhead is made out of cardboard and when driving, I keep thinking that I'm running over potholes in the road! A true worry when sporting 21" rims.

Quick Reply: CTT new owner: Strange gurgling after shut down