Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any trusted Los Angeles area shop that can install a Brake Controller in a 06CTT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any trusted Los Angeles area shop that can install a Brake Controller in a 06CTT?

I just don't have the time to do the install myself, and with all the reading about trailers braking during Cayenne acceleration and such, I would rather leave this to the Pros.

Do you know of any Trailer shop in the Los Angeles area where I can drop a 06 Cayenne Turbo and pick it up with a brake controller properly installed?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Assuming you DO have the towing package for the Pepper/P!g....

1. Buy a Tekonsha Primus brake controller (www.brakecontroller.com AKA Southwest Wheel here in Dallas)

2. Search this forum and find the part numbers of the VW parts (yes, that's right - VW parts!) you will need to fashion the other half of the wiring harness already in your vehicle.

3. When you take your vehicle in to the dealer for service, let *them* fish the brake harness out from under the dash. It's not that difficult, but you do need to know where to look.

4. Unwrap the newly discovered harness and plug it into the harness you fashioned from the parts in Step #1 above.

5. Screw two machine screws into the under dash fascia on the drivers side.

6. Plug in your Primus controller and insure that it is close to parallel to the ground as possible.

7. Plug in your trailer and pray to the "!" Gods that Porsche did not program your towing control unit for RoW operation.

8. Open that can of beer - you're done.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Toby !!!

Sounds very easy !

I will give it a try, although I would prefer this kind of work to be done by Pros. I don't want to have a runaway-trailer or runaway-pepper.

That site has a very neat Prodigy P3. I guess any brake controller will do.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any trailer dealer can also install it for you. As Toby mentioned, it is 'plug and play'.

Of course, it should always be installed in a location which allows you to quickly/easily reach the controller....in case the tail starts to wag the dog.

And yes, any garden variety, all American, generic, you've seen one you've seen them all, electronic brake controller works just fine.

From 04 August 2004, back when Larry was alive....

Answer: Installing Trailer Brakes:
QTY: PARTS:

Qty 2: 000979228
http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_...79228&x=28&y=7

Qty 1: 1J0972782
http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_...72782&x=45&y=7

1 Brake Controller

Get the first two items from a Volkswagon Dealer (or the online supplier mentioned); Porsche does not carry the connectors or wires.
You can get the controller from your local trailer store or online from
ETRAILER.COM.

First, remove under tray panel under dash on driver side.
Find 20 torx in center of panel and remove it.

Drop panel down and look for a 4 prong square connector on left side of dash, hanging off of main harness. Might be wrapped with grey foam.

Install the ends of the wires 0009799228
in the 4 slots in the connector, part number 1J0972782.

CONNECTOR IN CAR: WIRE COLOR:

TERMINAL 1: BROWN
TERMINAL 2: RED Check fuse box right
F19, make sure it has a 30 AMP fuse in it.
TERMINAL 3: BLACK/ RED
TERMINAL 4: BLUE

WIRING TO CONTROLLER:

TERMINAL 1: GROUND
TERMINAL 2: B+ POWER ALL THE TIME
TERMINAL 3: STOP LIGHT
TERMINAL 4: TRAILER BRAKE

Good luck and Godspeed "!"
Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Thanks Toby !!!

Sounds very easy !

I will give it a try, although I would prefer this kind of work to be done by Pros. I don't want to have a runaway-trailer or runaway-pepper.

That site has a very neat Prodigy P3. I guess any brake controller will do.
Careful! The Prodigy will not, repeat NOT, work in your vehicle. The CANBus sends a pulse signal on the brake circuit that does not allow the digital controller to work properly. Get the Primus. Not as fancy, BUT it will plug right up. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And remember, if your trailer is equipped with Bi-Xenon lighting, Toby is the go to guy "!"
Old 04-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe not!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Rad,

Jut did this in ours. Will D did the install along with his weekend back-up who works for Porsche during the week. Even so, they still had issues getting it to work. Looked like a PIA. I'll check and let you know which unit I have...no idea, but it works great. After an hour or so of fiddling, it all worked. I'd let pros do it.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update:

I did everything documented so far here. The VW cables, the VW socket, found the OEM socket, mapped to the Tekonsha Primus (inertia activated, doesn't use a brake pedal signal).

Here is the tricky part. I bought a Trailer emulator, you plug it and you can test the stop lights, turn signals etc.

Well, the trailer emulator lights up all the lights in flashing mode as a Christmas tree. This is with the ignition on, and all the lights off, turning on the car does the same, using the signals, the same.

I used my tester, and found out a flicking 2v and 4v output coming from the multiple ports in the trailer 7-pin connector, except ground (obvious) and 12v.

Is this normal? I'm afraid of plugging a trailer and having a rolling Christmas Tree with all the Trailer lights flashing.

Help !
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Your trailer tester is incompatible with the integrated trailer light diagnostics designed into the 1D6 towbar control unit. I am guessing your trailer diagnostics connector has little LEDs to indicate circuit status.

If you simply took a good old fashioned 12V incandescent bulb (the load that the 1D6 was designed around) and used it to test each connection (or better yet just plug in a trailer that hopefully is not equipped with LED lighting), you would have different results.

BTW, what you are seeing is in no way associated with the brake signals; they are independent of the 1D6 issue you are seeing.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Your trailer tester is incompatible with the integrated trailer light diagnostics designed into the 1D6 towbar control unit. I am guessing your trailer diagnostics connector has little LEDs to indicate circuit status.

If you simply took a good old fashioned 12V incandescent bulb (the load that the 1D6 was designed around) and used it to test each connection (or better yet just plug in a trailer that hopefully is not equipped with LED lighting), you would have different results.

BTW, what you are seeing is in no way associated with the brake signals; they are independent of the 1D6 issue you are seeing.
Thanks a lot Lewis !

Yes, the Trailer tester is Led based. I will stop by U-haul and test with the real thing.

By the way, your instructions were pretty straight forward to follow.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

On behalf of Larry (and his very attractive widow), who wrote those instructions, you're welcome.

Remember, I never owned a Cayenne...and if I did...I'm sure by now it would have found its way "home" with the help of lawyers.

When you do plug into "the real thing", make sure you don't get a "!" and also make sure that your secondary directional indicators are working on the dashboard....
Old 05-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ HAH! I bet I can still find PICTURES!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

In the digital age, I'm sure those would quickly be considered inadmissible as evidence.
I've even seen pictures of Cayennes on the beach in front of DiamonHead in Hawaii...they look real, but I"ve been told they're not.
Besides, I am fairly confident that no where does there exist a picture of "you know who" standing next to a Cayenne.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can recall one with "you know who" standing next to his "rig" with the 964 loaded on it. I think there was a subsequent picture posed in the same setting with the only change being an Excursion photoshopped into the picture!

Quick Reply: Any trusted Los Angeles area shop that can install a Brake Controller in a 06CTT?