Sponsored by:

PSM Failure Warning, Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM Failure Warning, Rough Idle

Interesting story. About sundays ago, I was driving my family home from the circus when I got a low coolant level light on my 04 CTT. The engine got up to about 210-220 degrees F. I got home, opened the hood and unfortunately I was certain what the problem was. Of coarse a coolant pipe broke. I am the type who likes to fix everything myself so I undertook this project. Many cut knuckles later, I had the car running (about 8-10hours). Everything was running fine. I actually went on a short trip this weekend. I have driven the car about 400 miles since the coolant pipe fix.

Because of my fun with fixing the coolant pipes- I decided that it was time to get away from Porsches. I sold my 911 last week. My wife and I were curious so we took our car to Carmax. Just prior to taking to Carmax, I removed the aftermarket lowering module (RENNtech). Everything was running great. We cleaned the car out and on the way to Carmax we ran it through a automated carwash (yeah yeah, I know). On the way over to carmax, everything seemed ok however right when I was pulling into carmax, it seemed to shift roughly. I pulled into a space and turned off the engine.

They inspected the car and gave us the expected horrible offer of 21k (75k miles). Of coarse, I didn't take it. When I got back into the car, I started it, the PSM Failure warning light came on and it was idling rough. Unfortunately, I went to carmax late, I was their last customer and they locked the doors behind me. I drove the car home, shifted slightly strange but overall drove fine. If idle still rough, still also getting the PSM Failure light.

I am pretty convinced that it wasn't Carmax's fault since I did notice a slight weirdness just prior to arrival at carmax. I don't see how me removing the lowering module could have done this. Even if one of my splices were bad, I can't see how it would cause rough idling.

I have read other posts about PSM failures after rain. My guess is that the carwash probably shot water into a sensor. I just can't understand why I would have the rough idle?

Of note is that the carwash that we went too was an especially powerful carwash. Also, my coil packs are about 10k old. Also, the rough idle is present when in park, neutral, drive and reverse. Car seems to accelerate normally.

Any ideas???

Quick Reply: PSM Failure Warning, Rough Idle