Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Four Wheel Drive System Faulty" Light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 in an 04 CS. Just started getting the ihtermitent flashing red light in the center console.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Stone43
Racer

I cannot find the tool to undo the front seat. I called the dealer and he told me that even if I did do it myself, when you disconnect and then reconnect the battery, I will probably have warning lights come on all over and they have to be reset. Not sure if this is BS or what.

I am taking it in on Friday, will post what the results are.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stone43
I cannot find the tool to undo the front seat. I called the dealer and he told me that even if I did do it myself, when you disconnect and then reconnect the battery, I will probably have warning lights come on all over and they have to be reset. Not sure if this is BS or what.

I am taking it in on Friday, will post what the results are.

Cheers
No one ever mentioned that before (I don't think). My P!G barely started today and I have the four wheel drive warning so I am going to pick up a battery somewhere and replace it myself. If no one chimes in before, I'll let you know if I get 'warnings' or not.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you remember to re-connect the vent tube when you install the new battery...
Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 PM
wirunner
Pro

No warnings after replacing the battery. Very easy to do and replacement non-OEM batteries are fairly cheap and fit perfectly. Project took about 20 minutes. The only difficult part was finding a tool to remove the seat bolts. WTF is with Porsche engineering? Don't they know no one sells tools for that?! Thankfully a T45 worked!

$130 bucks total.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
No warnings after replacing the battery. Very easy to do and replacement non-OEM batteries are fairly cheap and fit perfectly. Project took about 20 minutes. The only difficult part was finding a tool to remove the seat bolts. WTF is with Porsche engineering? Don't they know no one sells tools for that?! Thankfully a T45 worked!

$130 bucks total.
Good news....how bout the 4 wheel drive fault??
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Which battery did you buy?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Stone43
Racer

WiRunner,

Good job. You got off Much cheaper than I did.

The dealer replaced my battery (I cannot believe I am actually writing this). I looked all over for the tool to remove the bolts under the seat, but could not find one. If my battery was going, I needed it fixed asap as I have a long daily commute and did not want to risk a breakdown.

Anyhow, battery replaced, lights reset, everything seems in order. They gave me a choice of a Porsche battery or an Interstate, (6 year) and I went with the Interstate.

$230 for the battery
2 hours labor, so approx $430 repair. Ouch.

But I went ahead and got my oil service done as well (free, as I bought it there).

BTW, my original battery was dated 2003, and the tech was amazed that I got as much life out of it as I did. In fact, it still tested ok! But I was already in it for the labor, so said F it and just replaced.

The tech also told me that there is no common sense "obvious" indicator when the battery is going. This just happens to be apparent default warning.

So my advice is to you out there with the same light is just replace the battery, do it yourself and save the money. Just be careful and don't strip those bolts or you will be in for loads of fun!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my free half-*** car wash!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Good news....how bout the 4 wheel drive fault??
Fault went away immediately and I didn't even loose any comfort settings. In fact changing the battery was so easy, I'd say it's right up there with changing the interior air filter on simple DIY. I picked up an AutoCraft Gold battery from Advance Auto Parts - exact size of old Varta battery and you can reuse the original vent hose as it fit perfectly.

The seat bolts came off very easy with a T45 (honestly, they weren't even on that tight). I put some blue loctite on them and just re-used as opposed to replacing them as the manual suggests. The manual is also very well written on how to replace battery.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Stone43
Racer

OK, you don't have to rub it in!!!

But I got a free car wash : ), so there.

Just to reaffirm my Porsche manliness, I have had 2 old 911s as project cars. Goofy mechanicals, but not as much computer ****e.

But you are right. Batteries should be no-brainers.

Dumb question, but what is the battery in the back used for?
Old 04-03-2010, 05:20 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
No one ever mentioned that before (I don't think). My P!G barely started today and I have the four wheel drive warning so I am going to pick up a battery somewhere and replace it myself. If no one chimes in before, I'll let you know if I get 'warnings' or not.
Bzzzzzt.... Wrongo..... Dealer told me the same thing. Did I have warning lights? Yes.... Did they go away after a few ignition cycles? Yep......

Or, another way to avoid the warning light situation is to plug a spare battery into the cig. lighter and back-feed power to the car while the main battery is out.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone43
Dumb question, but what is the battery in the back used for?
Back in the very early days of the P!g, the 'aux' or '2nd' battery option was designed to make sure that the quiescent (dark) current draw of all the devices with direct battery (B+) connections did not render the P!g unable to start after sitting for (fill in the blank, 3 weeks?) in cold weather.

IMHO, it was a great option to have, I was sad when they discontinued it.

Quick Reply: "Four Wheel Drive System Faulty" Light coming on