Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:41 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

hey i like this hybrid feature

the diesel cayenne can already do 600+miles in one tank.. what more

What makes the Cayenne S Hybrid unique is its ability to cruise at high speeds on electric power alone. The gasoline engine can be completely switched off and disengaged from the drivetrain at speeds of up to 97 mph. Christened by the Weissach engineers as ‘sailing' - or cruising -- mode, the drag forces exerted by the combustion engine and their braking effect are eliminated in the interest of lower resistance and fuel consumption.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Alex....
my lease is due next month..lol

i found an 04 v10tdi touareg, but it scares me...it's naked
Old 02-27-2010, 05:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
hey i like this hybrid feature

the diesel cayenne can already do 600+miles in one tank.. what more

What makes the Cayenne S Hybrid unique is its ability to cruise at high speeds on electric power alone. The gasoline engine can be completely switched off and disengaged from the drivetrain at speeds of up to 97 mph. Christened by the Weissach engineers as ‘sailing' - or cruising -- mode, the drag forces exerted by the combustion engine and their braking effect are eliminated in the interest of lower resistance and fuel consumption.
My 09 Escape Hybrid can 'sail' on electric at 40mph (on a side note, the 06 Escape hybrid could only 'sail' at 26mph (although if you put the vechicle CVT into "L" and tapped the brake pedal lightly twice, you could exceed this limit)...although not for very long due to battery capacity vs. rolling resistance/aero drag/conversion efficiency.

Ask Porsche how long a Cayenne can 'sail' at 97mph...be specific, ask them for the answer in minutes, not seconds.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porsche52
Ahhh great, the new Pig is going to have auto start/stop and ACC like the Pani. Fun-fun. Wonder if they will need new alternators from the factory too?? oh snap...
You already know the answer...
Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the most part, I like what they've done style wise ...The curves are back! I love the Panamera's interior, so I'm sure I'll love this one too.

Performance wise, with less weight, more HP and the longer wheelbase...it must be incredible on the highway. Can't wait to drive it.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

One other detail I find interesting is that Porsche is moving back to [multiple] round exhaust tips on many models.

I wonder, if that's a cost saving measure.

Do you like it round, or matching the shapes around it? Or does it not make any difference to you?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rome
For the most part, I like what they've done style wise ...The curves are back! I love the Panamera's interior, so I'm sure I'll love this one too.

Performance wise, with less weight, more HP and the longer wheelbase...it must be incredible on the highway. Can't wait to drive it.
Some of the early road test reviews are having trouble confirming the decreased weight, none have come in under 5000# once optioned.
I would be curious to see exactly what a "lightweight" configuration for a Cayenne is.
Also, aluminum body panels/hoods tend to be very expensive when it comes to damage/replacement...just ask a 964/993 Cup car owner how much an aluminum bonnet costs (and why most folks remove theirs and store it and run with a steel hood).
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

It would be interesting to compare the aluminum body parts of the 928 with those of other Porsches. Not sure how much you'd have to factor-in the production volume, though. What I can say is that these parts are not cheap and a big reason so many 928s get totaled by insurance companies.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:13 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they hired the designer of the Hyundai Santa Fe:

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/meris...anta_Fe_75.jpg

Quick Reply: Officiall 2011 Cayenne Stuff is out there now