Sponsored by:

2005 Cayenne - Water in Fuse Relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
mike collis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Cayenne - Water in Fuse Relay

Radiator fan on my 2005 Cayenne (35,000 miles) that wouldn't turn off. Took it into the dealership to get fixed under Warranty. After several "false starts" and replacing of computer chips (under warranty) I have now been informed that the "problem" is water damage that has penetrated the Fuse Relay box, necessitating replacement of the box and wiring harness.

Cost estimate $7200!! and they claim it is NOT covered by warranty. So I now have an SUV that cannot be driven in the rain. When I pressed them for the "root cause" of how the box got wet in the first place (and what was to prevent it happening again) I was told that the vents were clogged with leaves.

Any ideas what I might do now ?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really sorry to hear that. I had a similar problem with water coming in from the center roof console (reading lights), I took it in and they said it was from leaves clogging up the rain gutters. They charged me $150 to clean the gutters and thankfully the electronics were ok.

Did you try calling PCNA? Maybe escalating this may help as this seems to be a design flaw.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaysideC4
Did you try calling PCNA? Maybe escalating this may help as this seems to be a design flaw.

PCNA doesn't give a damn, I think our Govt should implement the law to have the car manufacturers to mandate a recall if some % of their model came into the dealership for the warranty service.

You should read about 996 engine issue due to the engine design flaw and not to mention about our coolant pipes.

When these car manufacturers would learn a lesson, maybe they will after seeing the latest Toyota incident.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mike collis
Radiator fan on my 2005 Cayenne (35,000 miles) that wouldn't turn off. Took it into the dealership to get fixed under Warranty. After several "false starts" and replacing of computer chips (under warranty) I have now been informed that the "problem" is water damage that has penetrated the Fuse Relay box, necessitating replacement of the box and wiring harness.

Cost estimate $7200!! and they claim it is NOT covered by warranty. So I now have an SUV that cannot be driven in the rain. When I pressed them for the "root cause" of how the box got wet in the first place (and what was to prevent it happening again) I was told that the vents were clogged with leaves.

Any ideas what I might do now ?

Can you point out what box this is on the car? I can look on mine and see if it is easier to swap than they say...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you talking about the fuse/relay carrier in the left front cowl area? Ironically this is called the "Water box" in the wiring diagrams. I have a hard time seeing "leaves" causing a back up of water enough to fill the E-box/water box. You would be looking at over a foot of water from the drain to the bottom of the box! This box is a sealed unit too. And why the hell would they be throwing parts at it if it were leaves clogging the drains in the first place. Sounds like your getting a raw deal.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
mike collis
3rd Gear

Default Thanks for feedback

Thanks all for your support and feedback.

Am seeing the dealership hopefully tomorrow - armed with camera - will post pictures then.

Seems like I have a few approaches:

1. the porsche/warranty route - try to get the problem fixed in house, paid for, or even taken back. Requires some cooperation/response to pressure on their part
2. the lemon law/california consumer route - threaten/beat them into submission. Could be long and ugly. Anyone used one of the internet lemon law guys??
3. the "flood damage insurance" route - somehow convice the insurance company that it really is flood damage and claim that way (yeah right!)
4. the "give me my car back" path and get it fixed somewhere else, hopefully cheaper. Probably the last resort if all else fails.

Watch this space.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:37 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

WTF... Is there a regular preventive maintanence issue that owners have not been made aware of?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 AM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

I started a separate thread on this issue and I discovered that you may actually have a disconnected tube instead of a clogged tube.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ning-them.html
Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
mike collis
3rd Gear

Default Update - dealership may be coming through

Cross everything. The regular Service Manager returned from vacation and its like a night and day experience. I have photo's up the wazoo and a very strong ally for a claim against my insurance for flood damage. I will likely take a deductable "hit" and not sure if Flood Damage will show against the title, but it has to beat an $8k+ bill.

Watch this space.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Where are these tubes???
Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike.....was there any resolution to your problem? I may have the same issue...had to remove the 60 amp fuse to get the fan to shut down....

Quick Reply: 2005 Cayenne - Water in Fuse Relay