Electronic problem that Porsche canīt fix for me drives me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
OldStockS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic problem that Porsche canīt fix for me drives me crazy

Hello,
New member here. Peter from Stockholm Sweden.

First of all my appologies for poor english. I will also try to make long story short.
A few months ago my wife was driving the car, all of a sudden a warning appears "Engine temperature to high". So she parked the car and we had a towtruck taking it to an authorised, and the largest Porsche workshop here in Stockholm.
Ok, so they change the oil level sensor. I got the car back a few days later. Then, after driving apprx 45 minutes the same warning appears "Engine temperature to high".
Ok, so back to the workshop, had the car there for about two weeks since they had to order next piece from Germany. This time they changed the whole instrument cluster, and guaranteed that my problem should be fixed by now.
A few days after i got my car back, the following happens - A new warning: "Oil level monitoring failure. Workshop"
+ The oil temperature gauge, not sure if this is the correct name, (iīm meaning the one that shows oil temperature) start dipping to the bottom (lowest) and then up to its original possition (about middle), and then dip again.
This happens sometimes every 15 minutes, sometimes every other day.
Does not matter if engine is hot or cold.

I have payed around US 2500 (+ the insurance company have payed around US 1000) to Porsche for the repairs, but still they have not solved my problem.
I have been fighting a lot for this. They simply say that electronic issues can be difficult, and i simply have to live with the costs. They claim that they just follow a manual. Finally, after going rather high in the Porsche organisation i managed to get around US 1500 back from them.

They said that the next step for them (again following some manual) would be to exchange the whole "cablesystem" (sorry donīt know what this is called in english).

But since i got some money back from them, we are done with eachother + i donīt have much confident in their workshop, obviously i will turn elsewere.

I have been recommended another workshop that is supposed to be very good.
Let me just hope that they can help me out.

What are your thoughts about this matter that is driving me crazy?

thanks guys
Peter
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine just experienced a complete electronic "meltdown" on his GTS this week. PCNA did not seem to what to do other than to throw parts at it. Dealer says it is the third one with the same symptoms in one month.

I think these vehicles are a bit over electronified.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
OldStockS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more inputs?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OldStockS

They said that the next step for them (again following some manual) would be to exchange the whole "cablesystem" (sorry donīt know what this is called in english)....
The whole "cable system" is the vehicle wiring harness.
In order to replace it, they will likely remove everything from the interior (seats, carpet, roof liners, door panels, dashboard...basically strip it down to the bare unibody), remove the old wiring harness and install a new (built to order based on the vehicle VIN and options) wiring harness and put the car back together again.

There have been a few pictures of what the insides looks like when it is stripped clean. If not covered under warranty, it would be a very expensive procedure.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:54 PM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The whole "cable system" is the vehicle wiring harness.
In order to replace it, they will likely remove everything from the interior (seats, carpet, roof liners, door panels, dashboard...basically strip it down to the bare unibody), remove the old wiring harness and install a new (built to order based on the vehicle VIN and options) wiring harness and put the car back together again.

There have been a few pictures of what the insides looks like when it is stripped clean. If not covered under warranty, it would be a very expensive procedure.
Am in the process of uploading pics of said repair for separate issue, and you're right, it is basically stripped, and also this harness goes under the vehicle at all 4 corners, into the engine bay, controls PSM, half of the DME, etc.

Originally Posted by OldStockS
Hello,
New member here. Peter from Stockholm Sweden.

First of all my appologies for poor english. I will also try to make long story short.
A few months ago my wife was driving the car, all of a sudden a warning appears "Engine temperature to high". So she parked the car and we had a towtruck taking it to an authorised, and the largest Porsche workshop here in Stockholm.
Ok, so they change the oil level sensor. I got the car back a few days later. Then, after driving apprx 45 minutes the same warning appears "Engine temperature to high".
Ok, so back to the workshop, had the car there for about two weeks since they had to order next piece from Germany. This time they changed the whole instrument cluster, and guaranteed that my problem should be fixed by now.
A few days after i got my car back, the following happens - A new warning: "Oil level monitoring failure. Workshop"
+ The oil temperature gauge, not sure if this is the correct name, (iīm meaning the one that shows oil temperature) start dipping to the bottom (lowest) and then up to its original possition (about middle), and then dip again.
This happens sometimes every 15 minutes, sometimes every other day.
Does not matter if engine is hot or cold.

I have payed around US 2500 (+ the insurance company have payed around US 1000) to Porsche for the repairs, but still they have not solved my problem.
I have been fighting a lot for this. They simply say that electronic issues can be difficult, and i simply have to live with the costs. They claim that they just follow a manual. Finally, after going rather high in the Porsche organisation i managed to get around US 1500 back from them.

They said that the next step for them (again following some manual) would be to exchange the whole "cablesystem" (sorry donīt know what this is called in english).

But since i got some money back from them, we are done with eachother + i donīt have much confident in their workshop, obviously i will turn elsewere.

I have been recommended another workshop that is supposed to be very good.
Let me just hope that they can help me out.

What are your thoughts about this matter that is driving me crazy?

thanks guys
Peter
Not sure if you have taken any further action since original post but based on what I have seen in the past, first thing I would check are the ignition coils. It may sound silly, but trust me. The oil level/temp sensor grounds right next to them, and misfiring coils can cause RFI that can alter the signal. Secondly, you(or your shop) can create a separate ground cable for the sensor, and ground it to the alternator casing/bracket where the OEM engine ground bolts to. The least intrusive of the above is the coils, plus if this is the cause, it needs to be remedied regardless. PM me or post with any further questions.

Quick Reply: Electronic problem that Porsche canīt fix for me drives me crazy