Driveline Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Driveline Vibration

Hi gang,
My recently acquired '08 CTT has a peculiar vibration. I *think* it's in the drivetrain, but sometimes I'm not 100% sure. Here's the symptoms:

1) Worse when it's cold
2) Vibration resonates through the body under partial load (kinda like if you have the sunroof too far open with no windows open)
3) If you press harder on the accelerator, it will go away
4) If you put the car in neutral while it's happening, sometimes it goes away, other times not

I asked the dealer to check the center bearing, and they said it was fine. Could it be roadforce balance issues from the rear tires potentially? I didn't have my usual place install the tires, the selling dealer did.

Any other thoughts?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your car was an 04 I would say drive shaft, that makes a strange noise, if you say the word wummering 3 times in a row that gives you the pitch of a bad drive shaft.

Badly balanced tires can also make some strange noises, especially when they are worn and the sidewalls are not as rigid.

What kind of tires are you running and how many miles on them ?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
If your car was an 04 I would say drive shaft, that makes a strange noise, if you say the word wummering 3 times in a row that gives you the pitch of a bad drive shaft.

Badly balanced tires can also make some strange noises, especially when they are worn and the sidewalls are not as rigid.

What kind of tires are you running and how many miles on them ?
It's not a noise as much as I can feel it through the seat. The tires are Pirelli PZero's, in a 21", and they are brand new. I may just bring it to my tire guy and have him do a roadforce balance as a starting point.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I may just bring it to my tire guy and have him do a roadforce balance as a starting point.
Roadforce is always a great place to start. Just be sure that your tire guy has calibrated his machine recently. They don't all do that on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration