Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of Cayenne S, your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
2gns4me
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Thinking of Cayenne S, your thoughts?

Hello All,

We just had a new born and looking to get my wife into a safer truck. I have been using the search button and did not find the answer sorry if I missed it. From what I read I need to look at 06 Cayenne S and up for realiability. My question is how much is it to maintain such as brakes at the dealer and regular maintenance. I talked to a guy who had the GTS and he told me the brake job cost 5k all the way round I am hoping the Cayenne S is not the same case. Any input would greatly be appreciated. We are not rich but not broke either so Im looking for Cayenne drivers input as far as cost to drive.

Thanks
Joe
Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,426 Likes on 892 Posts

Generally, the newer Cayennes are better in terms of reliability, but there's no guarantee. There are some 2004s that are reliable, and some 2006s that are not.

Dealer maintenace is expensive on these vehicles. A brake job on all four wheels, including pads, rotors and sensors at the dealer will cost you over $2K. I don't think it should cost $5K, but I guess it depends on your dealer. This is an easy DIY job if you are so inclined. I did all four pads and sensors on mine as a DIY job using OEM parts last year. I think the total for parts was around $650 (ballpark). I'll do all four rotors on the next brake job. Our first was necessary at about 40K miles. Tires are also consumed rather quickly by Cayennes. My OEM tires went about 24K, and my second set need to be replaced badly now after 36K.

I just had mine in for the 60K scheduled maintenance, and it was about $1,300 (including a few other minor issues).

All things considered, our Cayenne doesn't go to the shop often. But when it does, it is usually more than $1K. The same is true for the 996. Porsche dealers aren't cheap!

I think your best bet is to find the newest Cayenne that you can afford and get a warranty. The best warranty seems to be CPO from Porsche, but there are aftermarket options available (mixed reviews on those).
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes, I would agree that maint. can be expensive, it's a Porsche. However after having our '08 GTS for about a year and a half and 22,000 miles I really like it. Great on the highway, very comfortable for four (possibly 5) adults for extended drives and a great tow vehicle. We towed our 911 Sc to Parade with no issues and up some steep inclines. Finally the Friday before Christmas made my wife and I even more convinced. We were stopped at a red light and were hit in the rear by a young man in a Chevy Suberban. He was going at least 20MPH at impact, so much so that all his airbags deployed. Ours did not as we were stopped. Even though the rear of our Cayenne was significantly damaged the tailgate still opened and shut electrically. Additionally all the damage was confined to the rear and initial investigation by the Porsche body shop show no frame damage and no side panels deformed or out of alignment. Now we do have the factory trailer hitch on the vehicle and it took the brunt of the impact and must be replaced along with the rear bumper and the tailgate skin. The Cayennes are well built and will protect the occupants. The seats are also very supportive. Neither my wife or I were injured and I'm a disabled vet with low back issues. Hopes this helps your decision making. Happy New Year.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Happy to hear the pilot and bride were not injured!

Quick Reply: Thinking of Cayenne S, your thoughts?