Sponsored by:

Interior lighting ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:07 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior lighting ?

Anyone know the workings of the comfort lighting? The switch in overhead is set on the middle position but the lights do not come on when the door is opened. The overheads will work if the individual button is pressed so its not the bulbs. I also notice the lights between the armrests and the door panel do not work. I have played with the comfort light buttons figuring maybe the door lights are connected with the footwell lights with no success. I am on a roll this month with all these pig repairs.
TIA
Old 12-21-2009, 08:35 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Wiggle the slide switch in the middle position on the roof console with the doors open and see if the lights come on. Mine had a intermittant switch contact in the middle position.

The door surround panel lighting should dim and brighten in synch with the footwell lighting when working properly. This is enabled when the headlight switch is selected on, doors are closed and ignition on.

The door surround lighting was independant of the slider switch on the overhead console.

The on/off push switch next to the dimmer push switch on the overhead panel should turn off all the interior lights if already on, and re enable them with each alternate push.

Last edited by bigbuzuki; 12-23-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine did this and the overhead switch panel had to be replaced. You may be able to clean the switch contacts after doing a panel R&R.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Did you follow the instructions in the manual? You have to hold the button down to adjust the brightness of the comfort lighting.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCOTITUDE
Anyone know the workings of the comfort lighting? The switch in overhead is set on the middle position but the lights do not come on when the door is opened. The overheads will work if the individual button is pressed so its not the bulbs. I also notice the lights between the armrests and the door panel do not work. I have played with the comfort light buttons figuring maybe the door lights are connected with the footwell lights with no success. I am on a roll this month with all these pig repairs.
TIA
Same or similar problem here. No matter which way I move the center switch I can't get the center light to come on; the reading lights on either side work when their individual buttons are pushed, and all the other lights that should be coming on when a door is opened do so.

I am thinking the center lamp could be burned out but I can't figure out how to get the light assembly out to check it.

Anyone done this?

--Bob
Old 12-23-2009, 11:10 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Did you follow the instructions in the manual? You have to hold the button down to adjust the brightness of the comfort lighting.
Played with the dimming button before and its not that. works fine. Im gonna lean toward a problem with the switch for the overhead lights.

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
The door surround panel lighting should dim and brighten in synch with the footwell lighting when working properly. This is enabled when the headlight switch is selected on, doors are closed and ignition on.
Dunno bout the door panel lights yet. I dont turn the lights on as I have the auto lights. Think VW is dumb enuf to only have the door panel lights go on if the HL switch is turned to the on position? Im gonna laugh real hard and lose all faith in their engineers on that one.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

From the manual:

Attachment 407803 Attachment 407804

Looks like my comment about the headlight switch and ignition is wrong. VW is not that dumb.
Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Last edited by bigbuzuki; 04-16-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to your local stealer. I had to get the unit / bulbs changed once on my 2004 CS (under warranty).

Good Luck!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
From the manual:

Attachment 407803 Attachment 407804

Looks like my comment about the headlight switch and ignition is wrong.
VW is not that dumb.
Sorry if it caused any confusion.
I just tried the comfort lighting function on my 2003 CT.

It indeed is hooked up via the headlight switch.

Must be either selected to auto (with dusk conditions), or selected to park or selected to on for the footwell and door panels to illuminate and be controlled via the dimming switch.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I know this is a 10+ year old thread, but on my 2005 CTT, the arm rest ambient lights stopped working (worked before). All other interior lights work fine, and I can dim or brighten them, the center dome light and switch work fine.
Did anyone ever find out what might affect all door armrest only ambient lights from not working?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Interior lighting ?