Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke after possibe coolant pipe issue PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:43 AM
jplumlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke after possibe coolant pipe issue PLEASE HELP!!!!

OK, so here's a link to the thread I started a couple of days ago about what I "think" is the coolant pipe issue. I pulled over almost immediately after the warning light came on and got towed home:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index......pid=162343&

I'm still waiting to find out what the dealer and warranty co. are going to do since I have them on record basically admitting they sold me the wrong warranty AFTER I requested specific coverage. so anyway after doing some reading and with the engine cold (sitting all night) I filled up the bone dry coolant reservoir and started the car for two reasons... 1. to just hear it run again so I would know that the motor still worked. and 2. to see if the coolant would start pouring out of the bottom of the engine.

Well two things happened. The car started up beautifully and sounded normal and after maybe 20 seconds or so, saw the drip drip drip underneath the car. While this was going on I noticed something that really scared me. WHITE SMOKE coming out of the exhaust pipes. yikes! It wasn't bluish and was much thicker than the white misty type of exhaust that was coming from my truck(cold day) Of course the oil and engine temp were at the bottom of the gauge. When I turned the motor off I listened carefully and could hear a drip drip drip coming from right in the middle of the engine

So here's my question(s) What in the world would cause the white smoke to come from the exhaust? My first guess, based on descriptions from other users/cars/ and situations would be a blown head gasket but the engine wasn't driven after the warning light came on so I don't think it overheated. Please tell me it's a by product/related to the coolant pipe problem and my engine is probably fine!!!!!!!!! Seems like this big v8 would be a little more robust than to meltdown like that. A gear head buddy of mine suggested using some kind of Litmus test in the radiator to see if there's some bad stuff in there that might indicate a gasket problem but I can't figure out how to get to it. any directions from the learned ones?

I'm sure someone here has an idea from first hand experience or something they've seen or read. I should find out tomorrow what the warranty company is going to do. I had already found the parts list and was prepared to do TSB 1691 coolant pipe replacement if I found out I was stuck. But, this white smoke, if it ends up being a head gasket is WAAAAY beyond me. I can only imagine how much that would be to fix. any ideas as to cost or possible reasons?

sorry for the rambling but I"M FREAKING OUT HERE!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As always, I would defer to the professional judgement of our resident grief counselors, Porsche52 and 99Firehawk...but while you're waiting for a PM back from them, I can only say...

my condolences...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

FWIW, the white exhaust you described is usually associated with water/coolant in the cylinder(s)...sometimes you will also note oil in the coolant.

If the valley in the engine fills up enough, given the placement of the starter, that should fail next.

I'd prepare yourself to go back into the engine...perhaps bring a priest along in case the administering of Last Rights is necessary.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think I recall that description in any post before on the Cayenne boards. I agree with itc is sounds like steam. So unless the exhaust filled up with water something else most likely did.

Definity need one of the experts to answer. I would also post this one on Renntech if I were you
Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM
jplumlee
Instructor

I posted pretty much the same thing over there, just not getting much response. I can't believe that this thing motor would go from.... Humming right along no problems, to "check coolant", pull over, tow home, now this.... I'm pretty much disgusted. All I can say is the Dealer/warranty company better come up with a way to cover this claim. Does this sound like a head gasket issue? I know the coolant "disappeared" and I can only assume it's from busted pipes ( won't know till it's in the shop)
Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

IIRC, there was a recent post here regarding warranty coverage of the plastic coolant tubes.
Since the tubes are plastic, the warranty in question denied the claim, since they do not cover plastic parts...

I would really recommend sending PM's to Porsche52 and 99Firehawk ASAP, perhaps even send them a first born...we'll leave the wisdom (re: cost savings) of using plastic parts in a high temperature/vibration environment for another time.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

I'd be happy to communicate with them privately... but I'm new here so I don't know them or their expertise. BTW I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't go for the first born idea, but how about an annoying dachshund?

As far as the "warranty" is concerned, if they would have sold me the comprehensive( which I requested during negotiations) "3starplus" the coolant pipes as well as just about everything else would have been covered, including seals and gaskets. The "3star" only covers the engine (long list) Transmission,Transaxle, Transfer case, and Drive axles.

still waiting to hear back.... anyone know how much a head gasket replacement job costs?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Send a Private Message PM....

https://rennlist.com/forums/private....=newpm&u=66380

BTW, I'm sure you've already seen/read this post from Porsche52 at the top of the forum...sort of a "Abandon All Faith Ye Who Enter" sign for our beloved little P!g Pen.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...pipes-a-z.html
Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

thanks for the links Lewis. And yes, I have read the thread and looked at the pictures multiple times preparing myself for the coolant pipe replacement. I have the service manuals and the TSB's ....

It's the white exhaust that really has me worried now.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the oil to see if it is Milky colored? This would indicate that water and oil were mixed.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jplumlee
I'd be happy to communicate with them privately... but I'm new here so I don't know them or their expertise. BTW I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't go for the first born idea, but how about an annoying dachshund?

As far as the "warranty" is concerned, if they would have sold me the comprehensive( which I requested during negotiations) "3starplus" the coolant pipes as well as just about everything else would have been covered, including seals and gaskets. The "3star" only covers the engine (long list) Transmission,Transaxle, Transfer case, and Drive axles.

still waiting to hear back.... anyone know how much a head gasket replacement job costs?
The tubes have to be fixed before you can troubleshoot the white exhaust...try to relax until that issue is resolved.

I checked into the most comprehensive aftermarket warranties available and not one covered the coolant tubes.

It was expalined that low pressure hoses such as radiator, vacuum and windshield washer hoses are not covered. Since coolant tubes pass antifreeze they are considered to be an extension of the radiator hoses...not covered.

Also if a non covered component fails and damages a covered component (the starter) it is not covered either.

It appears that aftermarket warranties cover the stuff that seldom breaks...a waste of $$ IMO.

Rick

Quick Reply: White smoke after possibe coolant pipe issue PLEASE HELP!!!!