Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" Tires - Conti's, Hankooks, Yokohama or ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
jpseven
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Tires - Conti's, Hankooks, Yokohama or ?

Picked up a bolt in a bad place and ruined one of my 20" Hankook Ventus st's. Tires have about 15k on them and lots of tread left. Thinking about getting 2 new tires for the front only as I don't want a new tire and 15k tire on the same axle. Initially thought I would just get 2 more Hankooks as they have performed well in Florida and seem as though they will give great mileage. The only issue is they have become a little noisy. I am, however, intrigued by two new tires; 1) Yokohama Parada X and 2) the new Continental ExtremeContact DWS.

If anyone has experience with either of these, or have input on others that should be considered, I would greatly appreciate the heads up.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Why not Toyo's? I have the 20s on my CTT and they are great so far. Also, you can order a tire and ask them to shave it down to match your current tread.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 PM
jpseven
AutoX

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Why not Toyo's? I have the 20s on my CTT and they are great so far. Also, you can order a tire and ask them to shave it down to match your current tread.
Never think of Toyo's as I had bad luck with them 2X in the past. Didn't last long and generated a lot of noise. Never heard of shaving down a new tire to match, sounds like a great alternative. I'll check that out. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

stay with hankook if you are in that price range, plus it's now porsche approved if i am not mistaken.. the toyo are too loud for my liking..
i hear good things about the parada, but never had them..

if not michelin diamaris is the one to buy...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpseven
Picked up a bolt in a bad place and ruined one of my 20" Hankook Ventus st's. Tires have about 15k on them and lots of tread left. Thinking about getting 2 new tires for the front only as I don't want a new tire and 15k tire on the same axle.
I didn't think that it was a good idea to have two different sets of tires on the car even if not the same axle? Could be wrong...

Anyway, at $142/tire from discount tire online you pretty much can't go wrong with the Ventus. Although the Yoko is in the same price range but you have to use tirerack and they charge shipping (which isnt that cheap).

I have had the Ventus for about 5k now. New they are quiet as can be. I've had some problems with balancing that I am working on. Other than that they've performed fairly well. I do notice they feel "splashier" in hard turns than the summer n-rated Michelins. Then again its a cheap all-season tire.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

Try the Bridgestone Dueler HP Sports. At Tirerack for $214 in Porsche N0 spec. About half the cost of the Michelin Diamaris and seem to be lasting longer, handling is similar, good wet traction. Definately not for winter in snow areas but for FL maybe not an issue. I think staying with Porsche N spec tires makes sense with such a heavy and high performance vehicle. Not much more than the non spec Hankooks. I also suggest changing all 4 tires if you have gone 15K. Use a tread depth gauge to verify your tires. Looks can be deceiving.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

My opinion on the Yokohamas I got is in this recent thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...and-tires.html

Quick Reply: 20" Tires - Conti's, Hankooks, Yokohama or ?