Sponsored by:

my first speeding ticket in 14 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my first speeding ticket in 14 years

After 14 years since my last speeding ticket cop's laser radar clocked my Cayenne at 92-93-94 mph while several other cars were around me. Ticket was issued for 94mph

My friend, sitting in the rear R seat, said he never saw me doing more than 80-82 mph ( I was busy telling a funny joke)... I know I did break the speeding limit posted 65 mph... but my questions are:

How accurate are these laser radars?

Is it possible for the laser beam to bounce off another car?

should I try going to court and fight for a lesser charge? would it matter even if they agree to the lesser speeding? my main concern being the resulting auto insurance surcharge.

TIA.
Sam
Old 10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience (in Mass Courts), where you are prepared to admit to the speeding (I was speeding just not speeding as much they say I was), the court may not look too favoraby upon your defense and assess additional court cost along with the fine. In Mass that fine is $100, plus $10/mph over 10mph above the posted limit, plus a $50 head injury surcharge. Your ticket in Mass would have been $340.00.
You could attempt to argue that the radar gun was faulty, but PDs have gotten wise to that, and have their guns calibrated regularly. You would need to hire an expert to review the gun's logs to determine if the calibration was done properly, and that will not be cheap.
In Mass you are looking at 1 point on your SDIP for the speeding ticket because you weren't cited for reckless driving, or driving to endanger.
If you don't mind telling, was it a Mass State Trooper, or town PO?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,470 Likes on 921 Posts

A ticket in the Cayenne and not the 996TT? Good God man... what's the matter with you?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Clutch-n-Throttle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
After 14 years since my last speeding ticket cop's laser radar clocked my Cayenne at 92-93-94 mph while several other cars were around me. Ticket was issued for 94mph

My friend, sitting in the rear R seat, said he never saw me doing more than 80-82 mph ( I was busy telling a funny joke)... I know I did break the speeding limit posted 65 mph... but my questions are:

How accurate are these laser radars?

Is it possible for the laser beam to bounce off another car?

Sam
The laser device (LIDAR) is very accurate. Typically, a beam width for the laser is 3 feet wide at 1000 feet out. Some newer devices have a smaller beam. The LIDAR has an aiming dot that the officer looks through a sighting device. The officer places the dot on the vehicle, pulls the trigger and gets a speed reading. The LIDAR is target specific. The laser beam does not bounce off other objects or vehicles. If the LIDAR does not receive its reflected signal, it will not give a speed reading.

Its tough to beat a LIDAR ticket. Good luck to you.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alsamrob
In my experience (in Mass Courts), where you are prepared to admit to the speeding (I was speeding just not speeding as much they say I was), the court may not look too favoraby upon your defense and assess additional court cost along with the fine. In Mass that fine is $100, plus $10/mph over 10mph above the posted limit, plus a $50 head injury surcharge. Your ticket in Mass would have been $340.00.
You could attempt to argue that the radar gun was faulty, but PDs have gotten wise to that, and have their guns calibrated regularly. You would need to hire an expert to review the gun's logs to determine if the calibration was done properly, and that will not be cheap.
In Mass you are looking at 1 point on your SDIP for the speeding ticket because you weren't cited for reckless driving, or driving to endanger.
If you don't mind telling, was it a Mass State Trooper, or town PO?
It was a MA State Trooper, fine $290. I am OK paying the fine so if the surcharge point will not be any lesser then I guess no need for going to court.
Sam
Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
A ticket in the Cayenne and not the 996TT? Good God man... what's the matter with you?
Ha Ha ha! isn't that strange? I do have a V1 in my Twin Turbo although even the V1 has no chance against laser most of the times.
Sam
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clutch-n-Throttle
The laser device (LIDAR) is very accurate. Typically, a beam width for the laser is 3 feet wide at 1000 feet out. Some newer devices have a smaller beam. The LIDAR has an aiming dot that the officer looks through a sighting device. The officer places the dot on the vehicle, pulls the trigger and gets a speed reading. The LIDAR is target specific. The laser beam does not bounce off other objects or vehicles. If the LIDAR does not receive its reflected signal, it will not give a speed reading.

Its tough to beat a LIDAR ticket. Good luck to you.
Not an encouraging news...so as I understand the margin of error is very small.
Thanks for the info.
Sam
Old 10-28-2009, 04:35 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you simply "pay" the fine with the trooper? When I lived there in the 70's it was the accepted way to handle a ticket.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
Could you simply "pay" the fine with the trooper? When I lived there in the 70's it was the accepted way to handle a ticket.
Yeah - and those were also the days when you could say that you were too drunk to notice that you were speeding.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richc
I am not sure if I understand your question. You mean to pay the trooper at the time of ticketing?
sam
Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
It was a MA State Trooper, fine $290. I am OK paying the fine so if the surcharge point will not be any lesser then I guess no need for going to court.
Sam
Depending on what your SDIP(lower the better) is, and how many years of incident free driving you have (generally you "lose" a point for every policy year of good driving, down to a minimum of 9), this may not have any effect on your insurance costs. However, this incident will stay with you for 7 policy years, in case you act up again, and get caught.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Va it is only for three years that it is on your insurance and driving record .
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

man were paying too much in CA.. 94 on a 65 is only $280? if you go to court
it might get cut in half
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a safe driver discount on your insurance policy? Discount may be removed because of the ticket. Over 3 years, the cost can be substantial.

IMO, fight every ticket every time.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SnP
Do you have a safe driver discount on your insurance policy? Discount may be removed because of the ticket. Over 3 years, the cost can be substantial.

IMO, fight every ticket every time.
Yes, I do. I will need to check with insurance co. and evaluate the consequences of the point.
Sam

Quick Reply: my first speeding ticket in 14 years