Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne convert (almost) needs DIY Info.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Jascha-M
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...in that case, I gather that the 'false negative' on DIY is that most postings on this Forum are not from owners who are interested (assorted reasons) in wrenching as such.

Actually, I was curious /asking about the level of wrenching complexity well beyond oil-changes .

+1 on the "support Group"
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Jascha-M
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
When I think of 'rare Audi'....I think RS, followed perhaps by S (maybe).
S-Line anything IMHO does not make it 'rare'

Drove an A3 3.2DSG a while back...it was nice.

Indeed... I stand corrected on 'rare' should have said precious few are 3.2 DSG (!)
Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 AM
shakazulu12
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
+955. There are a few DIY's in the regular threads but user Mudman2 has a bunch that are accessed via a link in his signature.

What specifically are you looking to do?
Are you sure its Mudman2? I pulled up some of his posts and profile and didn't see any link.

I'm more curious for now, I'm still in shopping mode. But a big thing for me is information to do things myself. I simply don't trust dealers to do anything right.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shakazulu12
I simply don't trust dealers to do anything right.
That is 90% of the reason I try to do my own work, too. This is especially true for MBUSA dealers and the G500. They know not what they do!

Are PCNA dealers any better?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But on the Cayenne forum it seems all you find are ''Go to the dealer'' or "pray its CPO"
On the contrary, if you spent sometime looking on this forum there is practically step by step procedures to do anything and if it is not already posted there are so many knowledgeable people and actual techs that post on here, you can get the answer to anything. Just recently, we got a step by step detailed instructions on how to replace coolant pipes in the middle of the engine...no offense, but I think that's a little more complex than a sensor in an M5.

So search this forum here, search renntech, be friendly (and enjoy ltc's humor) and you'll learn how to anything. Hell, I've received actual Porsche manual procedures with diagrams for numerous things.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure its Mudman2? I pulled up some of his posts and profile and didn't see any link.

I'm more curious for now, I'm still in shopping mode. But a big thing for me is information to do things myself. I simply don't trust dealers to do anything right.
In Mudman2's signature, at the very bottom is a hotlink that says gallery", click on that.

We do need to post some on the Pcar Workshop website though.

They're out there, the biggest problem is they're not concentrated in one location, they're scattered around.

We have one on this forum which is how to change the cabin air filter. Fairly simple task but there are other ones more complex. As someone mentioned there's even one for replacing the coolant tubes and that's fairly complex.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
shakazulu12
AutoX

Originally Posted by wirunner
On the contrary, if you spent sometime looking on this forum there is practically step by step procedures to do anything and if it is not already posted there are so many knowledgeable people and actual techs that post on here, you can get the answer to anything. Just recently, we got a step by step detailed instructions on how to replace coolant pipes in the middle of the engine...no offense, but I think that's a little more complex than a sensor in an M5.

So search this forum here, search renntech, be friendly (and enjoy ltc's humor) and you'll learn how to anything. Hell, I've received actual Porsche manual procedures with diagrams for numerous things.
LOL, big difference between VANOS units, and VANOS sensors, but I did see that DIY on the coolant pipes, that was one of the first things I caught on the forum, which was great, since it seems to be the number 1 concern with the first generation.

I caught a number of ltc's posts and actually thought you guys hated the Cayenne for some reason, but I read more and realized he's just that guy, and kind of enjoy his counterpoint to the rest of the owners.

Might I suggest a sticky with links for DIY projects?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I caught a number of ltc's posts and actually thought you guys hated the Cayenne for some reason, but I read more and realized he's just that guy, and kind of enjoy his counterpoint to the rest of the owners.
He must have upped his meds, he really has been quite docile lately ...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:42 PM
shakazulu12
AutoX

Originally Posted by 993BillW
He must have upped his meds, he really has been quite docile lately ...
LOL, yeah. I read back quite a bit on the forum now. Wow........uh.....is he singlehandedly trying to kill Cayenne values?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

LOL, yeah. I read back quite a bit on the forum now. Wow........uh.....is he singlehandedly trying to kill Cayenne values?
Kill the Cayenne, yes. Don't think he cares about the values.

Quick Reply: Cayenne convert (almost) needs DIY Info.