Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Philly Cayenne
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here (from X5)

Hi,
I might be a new member here soon...

Here is my story - I have 03 4.4X5 fully loaded, etc - LOVE the car...
We are expecting a baby soon so my wife will be driving the that car now but the problem is she hates the big/really heavy doors of the X5 (safe but heavy)
So I am really considering Cayenne as a new addition to our growing family.
I will be spending allot of time here reading about possible problems, etc. but can someone comment on the door problem? Are the doors of the Cayenne really better/lighter/easy to close for a woman? I know that sounds funny but believe me that is the main concern for my wife (she is not a big woman but with a baby, dog and all the trips she will be taking to the park - it is a concern)
Also I am considering a used car 04-07 Any specific year is better? Thanks.

P.S always loved the look of the Cayenne
Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Come on, the doors? Not the performance, the handling etc. The doors? Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy it once you get one. I have 2, and honestly I dread the thought of getting something else. Nothing compares. I have had many BMWs in the past, and they are good, but I prefer Porsches.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Philly Cayenne
5th Gear

I know that post sounds crazy but thats what stopping my wife from putting her "signature on the check" ...
I know I wont regret buying that car (power & performance is there) but for my wife its mostly comfort, safety & DOORS
Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly Cayenne
Are the doors of the Cayenne really better/lighter/easy to close for a woman? I know that sounds funny but believe me that is the main concern for my wife (she is not a big woman but with a baby, dog and all the trips she will be taking to the park - it is a concern)
I think that's something you have to go out and test out on your own. I'm a woman (ignore my avatar ) and don't have any problems with doors on my P!G.

BUT, I haven't experienced the doors on an X5, though I doubt they can be much different???
Old 10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

My wife hasn't ever complained about the doors. They are heavier than the doors on a Pathfinder or a Honda Pilot, but they aren't unusually heavy.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife came out of an 05 X5 4.4 and her number one complaint about the X5 are the heavy doors, so your wife is not alone.

The Cayenne in general is a lot easier to live with. The doors are easier for her to open and the kids can even open them (4 and 7). The load height of the cargo area is lower and there is no silly tailgate, plus the lift-gate keeps the rain off you. The 08 and newer has a power lift-gate which she will not live without. The step-in height of the Cayenne is much lower, which makes it easier for women to get into. With the X5 she had to climb into it, the Cayenne you step into and when she wears a skirt it makes a big difference. She also loves the lighter steering feel, the X5 was so heavy. She also loves the handling and manoeuvrability of the Cayenne, plus the performance and sound of the engine.

In conclusion, she loves the Cayenne and wouldn't go back. Go for a 2008 or newer, a much better vehicle overall, with new engine and transmission programming, the lift-gate is standard and the looks are better in my opinion.

She'll love it.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Philly Cayenne
5th Gear

Zack,
thanks so much for posting...great info.

I cant afford 08 model for now...but I found a really nice 06 Sport Blue/with Tan interior, (her favor. colors), fully loaded with Navi, heated seats (no air susp) with 64K miles on it. Guy wants around 27K for it and I am truing to get it closer to 25-26K it also depands how much he will give me for a fully loaded X5
What do you think about that price?
27K for loaded Sport with 64K miles?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry I can't help on the price, our prices in Canada are very different. Do a search on used sites to get a feel. maybe someone else in the U.S. can comment.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that post sounds crazy but thats what stopping my wife from putting her "signature on the check" ...
I know I wont regret buying that car (power & performance is there) but for my wife its mostly comfort, safety & DOORS
Worst case, just buy the damn thing and get her a set of dumbells. Life is too short to worry about light doors.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
laurinap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

re "...Go for a 2008 or newer, a much better vehicle overall, with new engine and transmission programming, the lift-gate is standard and the looks are better in my opinion."

what more specifically has changed 08 as it relates tot he mechanicals? ive been thinking of a couple year old cayenne gts to TT to upgrade from my 03 x5 4.4 as well and wonder how important the upgrades in 08 are...

thks
peter
Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Philly Cayenne: Sounds to me that you are looking at the wrong vehicle and making up reasons to buy it...
Also doors are too heavy????? ...no offense but have both of you considered a vehicle with doors that slide with a push of a button?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:54 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Zack,
thanks so much for posting...great info.

I cant afford 08 model for now...but I found a really nice 06 Sport Blue/with Tan interior, (her favor. colors), fully loaded with Navi, heated seats (no air susp) with 64K miles on it. Guy wants around 27K for it and I am truing to get it closer to 25-26K it also depands how much he will give me for a fully loaded X5
Yes, that's a fair price.
I bought a loaded 2006 S about a year ago (45k miles) and paid $35k from CarMax.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by laurinap

what more specifically has changed 08 as it relates tot he mechanicals?
New engine (DFI)
Old 12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Returned my 2006 X5 4.4 when the lease expired early Oct. and purchased a 2004 S with 40.5 K mi.

The S is superior to the X5 4.4 when comparing performance IMO.

Like BMW SAVs repairs are expensive. Aftermarket warranties do not cover the common faults.

Try to locate a Cayenne in your price range that is covered by the factory warranty for a year more.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I found a really nice 06 Sport Blue/with Tan interior, (her favor. colors), fully loaded with Navi, heated seats (no air susp) with 64K miles on it. Guy wants around 27K for it and I am truing to get it closer to 25-26K it also depands how much he will give me for a fully loaded X5
Sounds ok. I paid 37K for a 40K mile 2006 S Tit. from a dealer with CPO in the summer. I saw that Main Line in Philly have two more or less exactly the same as mine, each for around $44K (are prices really creeping back up? Normally Main Line are pretty agressive with pricing).

Quick Reply: New here (from X5)