Sponsored by:

Amplifier and Navigation "not found"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 03:02 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche52
Ok, if this car came into the shop that I work at, I would do the following.
Perform MOST diagnostic ring test with PIWIS tester when fault is present (cold ambient temp). The results of this test should tell me what control unit (PCM, NAV, SAT, AMP, CD etc.) is causing the BUS to fail. The control unit in question will either be electrically or optically faulty. We have a fiber optic "jumper" plug that we plug in, in place of the suspect faulty control unit. If the system comes back to life and operates as designed with the jumper installed, then bingo, you verfiyed the problem. Replace that item. Do not throw parts at this problem, it is a very easy system to diagnos for Qualified techniticians. Sounds like the Amp is bad, they have been known to fail. Like I said, it would take 10min. for a good tech to veryify this with the PIWIS tester when the problem is present. Feel free to PM me for more MOST system details.
I'm trying to do this now with my Sirius receiver. I believe my Sirius receiver is defective and therefore draining my battery when everything is off. However - when checking the Fuse for the Sirius receiver, I am still getting 11mV even when car has been sitting for over an hour. I am trying to put a fiber optic "jumper" in place of the Sirius receiver and it does not work. However - if I plug the fiber optic back into the receiver, everything works fine. I don't want to use the Sirius receiver anymore and replace it with the fiber optic jumper but it's not working. Is there anything else I need to do to bypass the Sirius receiver? Thank you.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:14 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

My amp forgot that it had surround sound. Now it only has loudness.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:11 AM
thorcusmodee
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when this happens it is usually a failure in a device on the MOST optical loop. each device on the loop receives and transmits optical pulses that form a data stream, therefore any device failing on that loop can break the loop and nothing works. In my car the telephone module under the seat had got wet and I had no sound - the pcm said no amp, no cd chager and no phone. The easiest way to isolate units is to get a pair of bypass connectors off ebay or similar and swap out each piece until it bursts in to life. The sat nav cd / dvd seems to be a common fault but the phone module would be the forst one I would go for. The amp is a mare to get at so I would eliminate the others first.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:10 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by thorcusmodee
when this happens it is usually a failure in a device on the MOST optical loop. each device on the loop receives and transmits optical pulses that form a data stream, therefore any device failing on that loop can break the loop and nothing works. In my car the telephone module under the seat had got wet and I had no sound - the pcm said no amp, no cd chager and no phone. The easiest way to isolate units is to get a pair of bypass connectors off ebay or similar and swap out each piece until it bursts in to life. The sat nav cd / dvd seems to be a common fault but the phone module would be the forst one I would go for. The amp is a mare to get at so I would eliminate the others first.
Thank you for the response. Do you know where the telephone module is located?
Old 01-29-2022, 02:36 PM
thorcusmodee
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car is a UK spec one, it is under the driver's seat, which is the passenger seat on lhd cars. Wind the seaat all the way forward and fully up - the phone module is the flat silver box - mine had a Motorola sticker on it. The connector that looks like it has 2 orange wires is the MOST connector - this is the one you need to bypass.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:13 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by thorcusmodee
my car is a UK spec one, it is under the driver's seat, which is the passenger seat on lhd cars. Wind the seaat all the way forward and fully up - the phone module is the flat silver box - mine had a Motorola sticker on it. The connector that looks like it has 2 orange wires is the MOST connector - this is the one you need to bypass.
Okay... I just checked and mine does not come with the telephone module option. I've tried to bypass the DVD Navigation and Sirius module simultaneosly but it does not work. However, when I just bypass either the DVD Navigation or the Sirius module, then it works. I'm at a lost as to why I can't bypass both of those unused modules at the same time. Do you know why that would be? I have no use for either one of them and rather not keep them connected since I believe they are drawing current even when my car is off. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Amplifier and Navigation "not found"