Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard knocking on wheel slip (low gear)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:06 PM
windsurfnut
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard knocking on wheel slip (low gear)

Had my 04 Cayenne S out in some wet sand today..with gear reduction on (couldn't duplicate in high gear), I would get a very harsh knocking, or skipping noise as well as feel the knocking, from the front left wheel. Happened in wheel spin, and slow turns at full lock.
Any ideas?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
windsurfnut
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone? Happening in snow too
Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe it was the front differential... I believe it has the ability to lock when in low mode and this would cause binding in sharp turns due to the difference in wheel rotation from inside circle wheel to outside. This happens a lot with locking axles on 4x4 trucks.

David
Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front diff
i posted this in the repair thread
"low speed crunching in r/f wheel, especially in reverse with high angle steering inputs. During a nice punch you can feel gear slip and the shaft to the l/f wheel actually starts to flop around. Nice thumping. Had the pig on a lift, pulled the PSM relays, had a guy at each wheel. No noise in either upright or wheel. Plenty o crunching inside the case. Nothing like dropping a g and 1/2 in parts this month. My guess is there is a gear stripped causing the slippage and has egged out a bushing or bearing from the hammering. I will let ya know when I get the old box out and opened up. Even the porsche techs wanna come see as it is highly unusual so far with this model. Still have no ideas why tho, pig is wifes daily driver, my DE tow vehicle. No real hammering or off road stuff. Just towing. We shall see

Quick Reply: Hard knocking on wheel slip (low gear)