transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
immacul8cs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission oil change

has any done this on a 2005 cayenne s

do you know part nos for the filter and the pan gasket----also howmany ltrs oof oil is needed

thank you
Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is not one I'd do myself. They don't have filler tube/dipstick from the engine comp., you have a filler plug down on the tranny like a manual tranny. Only issue is the fluid has to be at a particular temp to check the level and done w/ PIWIS (sp?) I think. I've done it on a 05 Sequoia but I wouldn't do it on a Cayenne. Just my .02

IIRC there were 9 ltrs of fluid on the invoice when my tranny control valve was replaced (by dealer under warranty). Trans had to be removed for the job.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by immacul8cs

do you know part nos for the filter and the pan gasket----also howmany ltrs oof oil is needed

thank you
Unless you have 160,000 miles, the service isn't required.

On a side note, I asked two dealers once about this and neither wanted to do it unless there was a good reason and had no idea how much it would cost. That's usually a red flag to me...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wirunner
Unless you have 160,000 miles, the service isn't required.

On a side note, I asked two dealers once about this and neither wanted to do it unless there was a good reason and had no idea how much it would cost. That's usually a red flag to me...
IMHO, it's nuts to wait 160K miles to change the fluid. You've got no dipstick to be able to look at the condition of the fluid, there's no filter change - that just seems like Russian roulette to me.

My dealer said they wouldn't recommend going past 100K without changing the fluid. I didn't ask for a price quote, but from what I'm seen underneath the car there doesn't appear to be anything making the job especially difficult. Since I tow my track car with my Cayenne S, I'll likely get the tranny and diff fluid changed when I have the 80K mile service done.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

If I didn't already have mine done I'd do it about 80k too. I'll start believing the "lifetime fluid" crap when they start giving a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 PM
immacul8cs
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by 993BillW
If I didn't already have mine done I'd do it about 80k too. I'll start believing the "lifetime fluid" crap when they start giving a lifetime warranty.
whose lifetime are they talking about---certainly not my grandma--102 years
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whose lifetime are they talking about---certainly not my grandma--102 years
Congrats to your granny!

Actually, if she bought a new Cayenne at this point she probably could talk them into giving her a "lifetime" warranty.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

"Lifetime" usually comes right after the warranty expires. That's the way it was on recent MB trannys, until they changed it to 60k km.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 AM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by Renn 951
IMHO, it's nuts to wait 160K miles to change the fluid. You've got no dipstick to be able to look at the condition of the fluid, there's no filter change - that just seems like Russian roulette to me.

My dealer said they wouldn't recommend going past 100K without changing the fluid. I didn't ask for a price quote, but from what I'm seen underneath the car there doesn't appear to be anything making the job especially difficult. Since I tow my track car with my Cayenne S, I'll likely get the tranny and diff fluid changed when I have the 80K mile service done.

Not disagreeing; just sharing my experience that two dealers told me not to do it (at the time it was an 04CS with 35k). Noticing that both couldn't price out the procedure tells me they haven't done this very often. Sometimes the risk of unsealing a "sealed" system might not be a wise idea unless its a high mileage car. Just .02 - maybe one of our p!g pen techs on here can give us a more practical/accurate recommendation based on experience.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Vino
Racer

Good answer Bill HAHA, similar echo was said from Porsche on the 20k oil change or every 2 years, now down to 10k or 12k or once a year.

I have seen transmission fluid out of a 90k Toyota 4Runner, I think it was an 06 with a "sealed transmission". I guess the second owner didn't believe in lifetime fluid as well. The fluid actually came out looking perfect, not dark or burned smelling.
Hopefully Jeff or Brad can give us some guidence on this issue.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

When I was researching changing the trans. fluid on my (former) BMW 840 A/T I found the ZF transmission (mfgr) website. No where on their site did they mention "lifetime" fluid, they had a whole table of acceptable fluids for each model tranny but didn't say any of them were lifetime fluids.

The auto mfgrs want you to think there is very little maint. required on their vehicles so you will buy them. The last American car I owned (05 Tahoe Z71) never made any mention of brake fluid flushes. Do you really believe brake fluid will last 10+ years without significant brake system damage?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

thank you
How many miles on the car? Are you having shifting issues?
If you are determined to change to Tiptronic fluid here is what to do.
1st. Take it to your dealer!!! Job would run approx $695.00. Parts and Labor.
2nd. If that is to rich for your blood then do the following.
*Remove underbody panel. Remove metal brace that rear section of underbody panel attaches to.
* Drain fluid via torx drain plug.
* Remove pan and gasket.
*Replace filter, don't forget the black o-ring!!! torque to 7.5 ftlb
*Clean pan, fit new gasket. re-install pan. Torque the bolts to 4.5 ftlb
* Install drain plug, 21 ftlb
*Remove hex head fill plug. We have a special tool for filling the trans. Good luck with this. Maybe you could use one of the generic pumps you can get at Napa, etc. Fill trans until fluid spills out of hole. Re-fit hex head plug.
*Now this is were the we use the PIWIS, you must set the level with the transmission at 40 C. Maybe use a infared heat gun???
* Warm up transmission in lower load range. Switch all transmission ranges several times while doing so. (P,R,N,D 2nd and 1st)
*Read out ATF temperature using the PIWIS Tester. ATF temperature: 40 °C.
*Selector lever is in position P.
*Test and filling process at idle speed.
* Fill trans. until fluid overflows hole.
*Torque fill plug to 52 ftlb
* Filling capacity is 8.5Liters or 9.6Liters pending on trans. build date.
* And with that, good luck and godspeed
Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Vino
Racer

Porsche52,

What is you first hand "say" on changing the fluid early or even changing it at all? I guess some of us just want to prolong the life of the transmission.
$700 to change fluid doesn't seem too bad if you have to compare it to the cost of a new transmission + labor
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say doing a trans. service @ approx 80-100k would be a good idea if you are towing often, alot of low range 4x4ing, really anything that generates alot of heat.
We have a service interval on our service menu for this service @ 120k. It all depends on how you use the car. But remember when you just do a drain and fill, you are only changing around a 1/3 to 1/2 of the capacity. I will have to check on the total filling capacity for the Tiptronic. It would be nice if we had a machine to hook up to the trans cooler lines and flush out the entire system. We also advise that the front and rear diffs along with T-case be serviced at this time too!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
immacul8cs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Congrats to your granny!

Actually, if she bought a new Cayenne at this point she probably could talk them into giving her a "lifetime" warranty.
you betcha

Quick Reply: transmission oil change