Sponsored by:

Yes, Another Tire Opinion Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:02 AM
warz00
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, Another Tire Opinion Question

1st, yes I have searched and read the numerous threads on tires and wheels!

New '09 S with 18" wheels - I'm thinking of running Nokian WRG2 SUV's (255 55 18) as all seasons (NYC/LI region mostly but it will go out in the snow) - has anyone done this and were they happy with them?

If I go the 2 wheel route, I'm thinking 19 or 20" Hankook Ventus ST's in the summer and either the Nokian or Pirrelli S&I on the 18"s for the winter.

Thx for any thoughts.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

Nokians are awesome tires. If they made them in a 20" that would fit on my Sport Technos, I would seriously consider running them all year. I used to use them on my Saabs.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
warz00
Intermediate

Thx Dennis - had an '86 Saab 900 Turbo myself and am also a SRV fan!

What size Hankooks do you have on your 20's?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

They are 275 20 R40 tires.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

I have the pirelli scorpion ice and snow on an 08 gts using the 21x10 wheels. very impressive tire, stopping, starting, cornering, all excellent.
snowbird is only 12 miles away and the tires are only used from october to may, so I don't get enough miles to comment on wear.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
rubin
3rd Gear

There's a new Blizzak out called "DM-V1". Tirerack has them for only $144/ea and they look pretty darn nice. Blizzak's are a tremendous winter tire for the money!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
warz00
Intermediate

Thx - the appeal of the Nokian's is that I'm considering using them as an all season....if I go 2 sets, I'll probably go Hankooks in the summer on 20's
Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running the Nokian WR All Weather Plus 275/40 R20 on my '04 CT. They handle snow and ice pretty well, though not quite as well as my Pirelli S&I (18"). As an all-weather tire they are pretty good, but a little soft for me as a warm season tire.

Good mileage -- I'm about to look for new tires as these are now balding on the shoulders after perhaps 30k miles or so. Not too bad, no complaints there. However, my biggest complaint is that they cut like butter. If I roll too hard into a curb, the tire will likely cut. My original Scorpion all-weather (not S&I) were built like a tank, but I never felt truly secure on ice -- and they were really noisy all the time.

I'm looking for 19 winters now, will be selling my 18" wheels with Scorpions S&I whenever I can get around to it. And then, come April/May, I'll look to replace the Nokians on my 20's.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Seano
1st Gear

Just installed Nokian WR G2 SUV's on the Cayenne in 255/55-18 yesterday(I swapped out the Michelin Lattitude 275/40-19's that're on their for summer). The WR G2 SUV is Nokian's "all season", but it meets the requirements to get the snowflake/mtn symbol that (I think) only dedicated winter tires get.

I decided to give these a try since we live in the Bay Area and drive up to the snow throughout the winter - those of you know out west can be pretty brutal up in the mountains when it is dumping! But a clear majority of our driving is in warm & dry pavement. I wanted a tire that would support the Cayenne well on the dry pavement, plus be sure footed in the snows of Tahoe (yes, a tall order, but I think these Nokians might be the ticket!)

Why did I try the Nokians? Well, I've never really loved the Pirelli Scorpians that I had the past 4 seasons - although many people do - just not grippy enough for me in the bad stuff . For direct comparison, I've currently got Bridgestone Blizzak LM25's on my Audi S6 wagon for the winter. Oddly enough, this has actually been our preferred vehicle to take to the mountains (versus the cayenne) due to grip. The only problem I have with the Blizzaks is that they tend to feel quite soft in the sidewalls. I was concerned that the Blizzaks for the Cayenne wouldn't feel as solid as the V rated Nokians.

Initial dry pavement impressions? Quite good - I live up the top of a very windy highway, so tend to be quite sensitive to the tire roll issue. I like how these feel in the dry better than the Pirelli Scorpians and think they probably feel a bit better than the Blizzaks (less tire roll). I'll have to report back once we get it in the snow - I now how sure-footed the Audi is with the Blizzaks. By the way - running the Cayenne reccomended 38F/42R
Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 18-inch Nokian WR G2 in my Cayenne and only run them in winter, the rest of the year I run 20-inch Michelin Diamaris summer tires.

Last year we had three feet of snow in Vancouver in a few short days with a freeze/frost cycle that was a great test. These things just loved the snow and ate everything. On straight ice they are okay but in slush, snow and rain they are great.

I only use them in Winter. In Finland they are a winter tire and they have been marketed to North America as All-Weather.

Quick Reply: Yes, Another Tire Opinion Question