Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Tremek
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys, my wife's CTTS' coolant pipes have probably died as the beast is now bleeding coolant while at rest and the coolant light came on. I parked it and haven't driven it, but also added almost a gallon of distilled water to the system... Not awesome.

At any rate, are there any shops in the Denver area that anyone would recommend to do this work? I have yet to take the car to an independent so don't have any experience. Most searches are a little dated, so if anyone has input here it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 02:43 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I would contact Dennis C (post #322 in this thread), he lives near there and has a indy work on his C4s and Cayenne, he should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 AM
brquebral
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche Cayenne Owners Offered $45M Class Action Settlement

This news was dated August 1, 2013. I'm not sure what it would mean to those who have not had the upgrade yet: would we get a recall notice from Porche? Or this is just an offer and perhaps wait for updates...
Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2008 CTT coolant leak

Hi folks,

Read all the way through the 25 pages in this thread, and there's only a couple of posts that relate to the newer vehicles (i.e. 2008 onward). I just made my own post describing a different coolant leak issue on my 2008 CTT. If you are interested, have a look over here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...50k-miles.html

Cheers,
Todd
Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM
ronn356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In November 2012 I purchased a 2008 Cayenne with 75K miles on it. This is my fourth Porsche, and I am a long time member of the 356 Registry and PCA.
At 78K miles we detected a coolant leak at a PCA club tech session put on by a local dealer. We diagnosed the problem as a coolant pipe leak.
Upon opening up the cavity within the '08 block at the dealer's service center, we noticed that Porches had redesigned and replaced the top plastic hoses with an aluminum unit as seen in postings on this site. Underneath them was a fourth plastic pipe (still plastic!). Although this pipe had not failed, the thermostat housing that it fastened into did. Leith Porsche replaced the housing and pipe with a factory-new, all-aluminum unit. The service was discounted because I am a PCA member and our club is actively involved with this and other area dealerships. My cost out the door was $1400.
I subsequently contacted the Ohio law firm that is mentioned in TopClassActions.com and covered in this column. They replied that the case is in settlement phase as of August 1, 2013, and that my year model is not covered in the class. I think that the settlement limited the class at 2006.
My own opinion in all of this is that the accountants at Porsche overruled the engineers and gambled that the lawsuit costs would work out less than issuing a defective product. We have seen this behavior in American car companies in the past, the more egregious being the side gas tanks in Chevy trucks that had fiberglass fenders, and the Ford Pinto gas tank without the plastic safety spacer between tank and bumper. Both cases were settled in courts, involving catastrophic failures, lost lives, and millions in litigation that may have been avoided by sensible and safe design.
It is a sad day when both Porsche enthusiasts and their car dealers have to take a haircut instead of the parent company owning up and making things right. My own belief is that this all could have been avoided by using aluminum from the beginning, instead of gambling with plastic in a very hot engine cavity.
I still love the cars, but now I feel a bit jaded.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM
D9B
5th Gear

Tremek, where did you end up getting this done and what was the damage? My 2006 CTTS left all it's coolant on I-25 yesterday, and I had it towed to Castle Rock Imports. I have been happy with them in the past. Quotes I'm getting are right around $2k.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM
icebird757
3rd Gear

Hello guys.

Im new to this forum. I find it priceless to see all the info and tips members are sharing here so thumbs up for a great site.

I have a Cayenne S 04 and i wanted yours advise regarding the coolant pipes. I tried to take pictures of them with a mirror....thinking i have still the plastic pipes ??
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Designer
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's try that pic just a bit smaller.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Well I got a gush of coolant from the back drivers side of the engine, The coolant pipes have been done so I am thinking the dreaded coolant T. One I get in there will I need to take out the new aluminum coolant pipes to get at the T?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't need to take the aluminum pipes out, but you will want to pull the intake distributor to get access.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:19 PM
elc32955
2nd Gear

I noticed something interesting today. Last Tuesday my pipes went, luckily I had planned on changing the pipes anyway as a pre-emptive strike and the replacement parts were on hand, just not installed yet. Sunday myself and a friend that's a professional mechanic swapped out the pipes. Today I filed a complaint with NHTSA about the pipe problem. After I filed my complaint, I looked at all other complaints submitted on the Cayenne. There were less then 20 complaints overall for pipes, most of them on the Cayenne S. I was the ONLY complaint from a Cayenne TT owner that I could find. If we're trying to force a recall, every single person that loses pipes should be filing a documentary complaint with the NHTSA. Here's the linky to do so....

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Bottom line this IS something that the government's interested in. You lose coolant and overtemp the engine, you lose engine power. You cut it off to save the motor, you're dead in the water. If you're in a bad area, on a bridge, etc etc... it very well could turn into a driver safety issue in about three seconds flat. Having someone crash into you if you're stalled on the side of a major roadway could completely screw up your day. I've had to attend funerals for people in that situation during my Law Enforcement days. Not something I'd like to see repeated.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 AM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I am in progress of changing my starter motor on my 2008 cayenne S, what you think guys ? maybe I ask the dealer to change the T and lover pipe to aluminum ? Any advise will be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, guess which wonderful project I get to tackle a second time...(which, this time, will involve a more permanent solution)?:

Turbo owners have this little beauty:

Name:  Before.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  59.1 KB

...which comes apart like this:

Name:  Disassembled Tee + Hoses - RL.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  556.4 KB

...which reveals our nemesis:

Name:  Tee, alone - RL.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  585.2 KB