Power Steering Pump & Pioneer Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Christopher Wingert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump & Pioneer Dealership

Just an FYI.

I have a 2005 Cayenne S with about 25k miles on it. Warranty expired in March.

Last week, I had the power steering start to whine and then went out. Car was still driveable (in a straight line), but very difficult to turn at a stop (not surprisingly).

Looking under the hood I saw the power steering reservoir was empty. When I got the car home I pulled the bottom shield off and didn't notice anything jump out at me (ie busted power steering pipe).

I decided to have the car towed to Pioneer Porsche (here is San Diego) for both convenience and safety. I got the report back that the power steering pump failed and it would be about a $950 to replace it. I ok'd the repair.

Repair was blazing fast, was able to pick it up the next morning.

I took the failed pump home to check it out. Upon inspection the only thing that had "failed" was a o-ring on a port that was blocked (with a hex plug) on my pump. It is blocked because it is an option for a option that I do not have (not really sure what it is).

I was a bit upset, that I spent $450 (for the pump) for a $0.10 o-ring replacement. I called the service manager at Pioneer and he explained that they can not get "internal parts" to the pump and further that because the pump had run dry that Porsche recommended that it be replaced. Obviously I wish I would have this decision in my own hands instead of being informed that a perfectly good pump had failed.

Anyone want to buy a used pump?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen a few of the orings replaced. Pumps started grinding shortly there after. One even sezied blew the belt off, customer kept driving over heated the engine and dropped the valve seats out of the head. Replaceing the pump not a bad call when your liable for anything that happens later
Old 07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
flintworks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche does not list a part number for that o-ring, plus what he said ^

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump & Pioneer Dealership